Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Gillian Hunter, May 11 2011 4:30PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Virtigo

Can anyone advise me? I am a relatively new therpist and have a client with virtigo. What if anything can I do to help? I would be grateful for any suggestions even if it means advising the client to see a different therapist.

Many Thanks
Gill
Angela Rawlins
May 11 2011 5:05PM
Hi Gill

Do you know what caused the vertigo? Some times it can be after a really bad cold.

I personally would treat with Hopi ear candles and a very specific head,face massage techniques. But my treatment is hugely different from the basic course as I've trained with Sue Maunsell and over the years done other different therapy courses and combine all I've learnt

Regards

Angela
Nicki Lee
May 11 2011 5:08PM
Hi Gillian,
This unfortunately doesn't have a simple answer since vertigo is a symptom and there can be any number of underlying causes. Massage wouldn't be contraindicated for the vertigo itself (unless lying down or getting on or off the couch made your client dizzy) but you should probably get a little more information in case the underlying cause is contraindicated.
Regarding referring your client on, if it's positional vertigo caused by particles in ear canals then some physiotherapists and osteopaths can do a manoeuvre which can help.
A really good book to help decide when to treat is 'A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology' by Ruth Werner.
Good luck with your client.
Nicki
Gillian Hunter
May 11 2011 5:13PM
Thank you so much ladies for your prompt replies and advice. I will definately invest in the book you suggested.
Many thanks

Pamela Bracken
Jul 6 2011 8:25PM
A kinesiologist trained in applied kinesiology techniques may be able to help with vertigo.
Angela Rawlins
Jul 6 2011 9:51PM
Look at this site www.vestibular.org/index.php

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion