Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Sarah Chandler, Jul 19 2011 1:48PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

On Site Massage 5 minute taster in bars

Could anyone please advise what is required - ie licences etc
A couple of friends (all qualified massage and on site massage therapists - all insured) are hoping to provide a taster of on site massage in a couple of local bars in croydon/sutton area.
We have acquired an on site massage chair. We were thinking of meeting with a few bar managers in the next few weeks - can anyone assist in making sure this is a success.
Amanda Clegg
Jul 19 2011 1:57PM
I think all you would need is your usual 3rd party and professional indemnity insurance for that treatment, and of course the permission of the premises-owner. However, not sure if massage and alcohol is a good mix?
Victoria Page
Jul 19 2011 5:21PM
Hi Sarah, can you let me know how you get on with this as I've thought about doing this too but not done anything with it because of the alcohol/massage mix issue. My email address is relax@vip-therapies.com.
Thank you and good luck :)

Victoria
Deborah Flavell
Jul 19 2011 5:43PM
Alcohol and massage really don't go together. I don't think it presents a professional image. You would have to do some sort of consultation and disclose that alcohol had been consumed. Could be an issue with insurance.
Really hate to be a wet blanket, but think carefully about this.
Amanda Clegg
Jul 19 2011 7:15PM
Could you organise it for one of hte shopping centres, or a local hairdressing salon that doesn't do beauty treatments? Might be more professional-looking!
Sue Hannaford
Jul 19 2011 11:10PM
Croydon Council is one of those that requires a treatment licence to be held - you will need to check whether this is for the therapist or the premises.
Angelina Kelly
Jul 21 2011 10:31AM
Hi Sarah,

Like my other colleagues have said before me, think very carefully before taking this one on, it could be more trouble than it's worth. shopping centres are better as are salons. However, in my experience, they are a lot of very hard work but doesen't end up bringing in business.

Sorry to discourage you but as we all know in this business, prevention is better than cure (and that includes promotion).

Good luck and if you do go ahead with it, let us know how you got on.

Regards
Angelina Kelly
Amanda Clegg
Jul 21 2011 2:09PM
I really agree with Angelina. You might be better off (and hit more people) just spending the time handing out leaflets in the shopping centre or at the railway station to catch all the achy tired communters. You could include a discount voucher - beware of the BOGOFS, but say buy 3 or 4 and get one free, or 10%

Good luck.
Angelina Kelly
Jul 21 2011 2:56PM
Hi,

In my experience special offers don't work either. They may come for the duration of the special deal but this doesm't transfer into regular attending clients.

Angelina
Deborah Flavell
Jul 21 2011 3:26PM
I agree special offers (in my experience) are a waste of time. Put your energy into offering a seated massage trial in local business offices. You might even find that firms will pay a percentage of your per person fee. I don't know if you are trained in On-Site Massage or not, but there are a lot of benefits for employers. It is an invigorating and uplifting treatment. It's extremely relaxing whilst cleaing the mind.....increased production/profit for the boss! Do your research and sell the benefits! I think we are all looking forward to hearing how you get on. Lotsa luck.
Jane Hopwood
Aug 12 2011 6:22PM
Hi, this is just a thought, as I have never treated on-site. After the on-site treatment some staff might feel relaxed and tired rather than invigorated - especially if they have achy neck and back and over-stressed or not sleeping well. Could it be that after the on-site treatment that they are less productive because they have been treated during working hours.

I really do not know much about on-site and would really welcome responses to my queries. This is a great site and sharing views between members, therapists and colleagues is so important.

Hope someone will answer - as I would like to know how onsite works.

Thanks

Jane
Deborah Flavell
Aug 12 2011 6:53PM
On-site massage is something called Amma. It was supposedly a forerunner of shiatsu.....no doubt shiatsu therapists can put me right if that is incorrect. It is done through the clothing and specific accupressure points are used. A full treatment should not take longer than 20 minutes. The back, neck, scalp, shoulders, arms, and hands are treated. It's possible to do a shorter treatment that is still effective. Like all therapies there are contra-indications. Initially it is very relaxing. However 10 minutes after the treatment energy levels are lifted leaving the recipient feeling alert, refreshed and energised. Perfect for the work place. A seated massage chair is ideal (also good for pregnant women, but you can improvise with an ordinary chair and a table.
Jane Hopwood
Aug 13 2011 8:15AM
Thanks for the explanation. This is a brill site for communication.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion