Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Hopwood, Sep 15 2011 7:46AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Renting a room

Hi I posted a topic on renting a room before, but this question relates to another aspect - insurance. I have professional and public liability. The other therapist has professional and public liability. I am renting a room to her but I am the lessee. We will operate in different rooms. My insurance company says I need to take on another public liability insurance in case one of her customers tries to sue me and not her for any public liability. Anyone else have any experience of this?
Amanda Clegg
Sep 15 2011 8:31AM
i should talk to another insurance company or a good professional broker just to get a second opinion - IK don't see how a customer could possibly find grounds to sue another practitioner who was not treating them. That would be like me suing Wimpey if my Barrat house fell down!
Jane Hopwood
Sep 16 2011 7:45AM
The insurance were inferring that if one of her clients had accident - say in the reception area - I would not be covered unless I took this additional insurance. I am presuming because it was her client and not the general public. I am insured for my clients and the general public. It is Holistic Health, who a lot of us are insured with. Thanks
Amanda Clegg
Sep 16 2011 8:25AM
I think this ought to be covered under your normal premises insurance. I work from home and had to have an additional premium on my home policy to cover clients, say, if they tripped on the way to the loo. I guess you as the main lease-holder would be responsible, but under that insurance, and of course you can't be insured with different organisations for the same thing. I should check with your premises insurer, and perhaps get them to speak directly to Holistic to reassure Holistic that you have proper cover. If you point out to any clients any potential hazards, and ensure that the premises is in good repair (no fraying carpets, and well lit or marked steps etc) then you should be ok.
Amanda Clegg
Sep 16 2011 8:26AM
Just re-read your post - you could probably argue that her clients are 'general public' as they are not your clients.
Jane Hopwood
Sep 16 2011 3:34PM
Thanks for posts and help. Jane

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion