Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Hopwood, Sep 29 2011 4:02PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Back massage after hysterectomy

I know surgery is a contraindication but .... my friend has hurt her back and had a hysterectomy about 2 1/2 months ago. The pain is only in her back. Would it be ok for to do a light massage to her back to see if there is any muscular problem I can resolve. Or should I keep well away. I was only asked today so it is a bit of knowing what to do on the spur on the moment. I will advise her to go to doctors as she may have damaged internally - she picked something up that was slightly heavy. Could I just do a light massage to see if she has back muscular problems. Help! What would you do. Jane
Amanda Clegg
Sep 29 2011 5:08PM
Normally the contraindication period after surgery is 6 weeks assuming it's a textbook recovery and has healed properly, but I would err on side of caution if you are uncertain and get her to check with her GP. However as long as her recovery from the op was straightforward you should be ok with a light massage to help relieve the muscle spasm and just don't use too much pressure on lower back. At this stage I would be saying to anyone to self-massage with a good vit.E oil over the scar site to minimise scarring and prevent adhesions.
Jane Hopwood
Sep 29 2011 6:36PM
Thank you so much Amanda for your reply. I wanted to help my friend so much. I will give a very light massage and treat any problems I find but will be very careful over the lower back. Its nice to have feedback as I am still gaining experience and experience of others of this site if fabulous. Thanks Jane
Bridgette Bradley
Sep 29 2011 10:39PM
Seated massage would avoid pressure on the
Lower abdominals. Use pillows infront of the torso
For comfort. This would allow you to treat Lower
Back pain which may be secondary tension due
To the surgery. Keep up the good work.
Jane Hopwood
Sep 30 2011 10:14AM
Thanks Bridgette.
Mike Colquhoun
Sep 30 2011 5:03PM
Hi Jane
It is highly likely that during the Op her pelvis was moved out of alignment and this is what is causing her pain, an easy test to find this is to place your thumbs pointing in to the middle on the Anterior Superior Iliac Spines [the pointed bones either side at the front above and outside the pubis], with the index fingers pointing down to the couch surface. If the pelvis is straight the thumbs will be level and at the same height above the couch. If one thumb is higher than the other or nearer the head than the other then the pelvis is tipped.
What to do if it's wrong, well you can send them to an Osteopath or Chiropractor or if you want to correct it yourself using advanced massage techniques give me a ring my number is on my web site www.muskelym.co.uk.
There will be an adhesion after this operation there aleways is after any deep abdominal surgery, again advice on what to do is on my web site and a weak frankinsence lotion applied regularly is adviseable.
Yours aye Mike
Jane Hopwood
Oct 3 2011 10:03AM
Hi thanks for that reply and the great feedback. Jane

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion