Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Paul Michael Gilmore, Oct 24 2011 10:10AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

CThA fees ?

I just had my notification through for my annual renewal. . .
currently i pay £3.80 PCM over 12 months, this works out at £45.60

I thought this was fairly expensive for a quarterly magazine and a web/ name listing that has produced no referrals so far.

this has now gone up to £58 per year, with no word of an explanation from CThA. Considering Insurance is extra, this seems to be a little over the top ?

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments?

* paul *
Concetta Maria Foat
Oct 24 2011 6:38PM
Hi,

I totally agree, this is expensive and I have the same questions as you do.
Alan Clements
Oct 24 2011 9:00PM
Did you only join for a magazine and web referrals? I joined because I wanted to be part of a well respected professional organisation that can represent me, interface with government bodies on my behalf, help me find organised and approved CPD training, and allow me to demonstrate to my clients that I am serious about the way I present my clinic. Money is indeed tight for everybody at the moment and I can only get a couple of days work a week, but from past experience CTHA membership is worth every penny.
Amanda Clegg
Oct 24 2011 11:26PM
I agree with Alan. If you look at the whole bundle, the insurance at £90 odd plus the sub, and put it in 'insurance and professional fees' in your accounts, it's not bad value.
Elizabeth Farrow
Oct 26 2011 6:03PM
In this day and age I feel the fees still offers value for money.
There is and will always be a difference in people's expectations, their circumstances and aims and objectives of membership, which will always influence opinion.
Dawn Spragg
Oct 26 2011 6:18PM
Although I agree with all that has been said firstly I feel that the opinions of Alan could have be aired in a more constructive and less dismissive way. I have been with this governing body GCP GPP then CTha for over 17 years and Yes the CThA is our professional voice but I have to admit it seems to be have been more than silent on many issues over the last few years and I feel that its promotion and support leave a lot to be desired of late. I would also like to state that in the current financial climate to put up fees is ill advised and the CThA should explain why the fees have increased. As for increasing them with no warning this really is not on mo other company would get away with this. So CThA explination please ?
Amanda Clegg
Oct 26 2011 6:51PM
Actually Dawn you make some really good points. However, one major criticism I have of CThA is that they don't seem to look at the forums to see what we are all discussing. There are other threads - mostly lately about the muddle over the various 'offers' CThA broker on our behalf but don't really tell us about - where we've pleaded for HQ to comment, to be met with silence.

So, if anyone from CThA HQ is looking at the members forums, please feel free to add your 'pennyworth'!
Paul Michael Gilmore
Oct 27 2011 12:34PM
Alan, thanks for your reply. . . but
i am a member of CNHC, which is closer to a government body than CThA, and at the least contains medical professionals on its board of directors.
The CPD system of recording provided by CThA is not ideal - to say that once entered no mistakes can be corrected is laughable quite honestly.

I am not complaining about the fees per se, i am complaining about the lack of warning of the change in fee. a 25% increase in fees for no perceptible reward is a little over the current rate of inflation !!

with regard to clients, the majority have no idea who the CThA , or FHT, IPT, CNHC, or even MI5 are, so i feel it is disingenuous to say that they will feel reassured by a certificate of membership hanging on the wall.

in all honesty, even the last 2 issues of embody seem to have been more adverts than articles, and despite multiple submissions by the area co-ordinator have failed to include the Tui Na course that i and a number of colleagues have spent the summer attending.

nice to see a healthy debate on the forum nonetheless, and yes, it would be nice if someone from CThA could chip in with a contribution. . . .

*paul *
Patrick Pires
Nov 9 2011 6:07PM
I joined the CTHA primarily because an application towards an opportunity at Neal's Yard requires me to be part of a 'professional' body! I had no idea that that the joining fee had jumped so much. But, console yourselves:
I have been subscribing to the Financial Times Online edition for the past 5 years and paying just £50 per year. For the year 2011-2012 my subscription has jumped 3-fold to £129!
Dawn Spragg
Nov 10 2011 2:50PM
Patrick, I see where you are coming from but the Times is not a body selected to represent anyone it is a newspaper/ luxury item that needs to make a profit and is not a necessity . I am also sure that the Times informed you way before they upped their fees. I would like to see someone from the CThA join this debate and justify the rise in an economic climate in which many of its members are struggling and require all the assistance they can get.
Finally I really would not mind so much if the CThA was more widely advertised to the General Public so they would go on to the web site and utilise the facility to find us but even when you type in Complementary practitioner / register /r therapist or to be honest any other heading the CThA does not come up on the first page of Google at all let alone the top of the list. Also providing promotional material for us to down load to assist our businesses would really take very little effort, but even this is not available. Come on CThA lets have some feedback put our money where your mouth is.
Jacqueline Thomas
Nov 10 2011 3:50PM
I totally agree that it does not appear that the CThA monitor the Forums and I have mentioned this in my latest e-mail to Vilas in the office. I have been communicating with her regarding the issue of insurance cover for therapists without an aromatherapy qualification using pre-blended oils. You can see this topic on the Forum - I think it is listed under 'General'. Having spoken to Holistic Insurance Services and the CThA, I was asked to write an e-mail and it then took 4 weeks to get a response. The response was that the insurance does not cover me to use pre-blended oils. In the light of the time taken to answer what I considered to be a very important query and subsequently to find I'm not covered for something I believed I was (previous membership and insurance with FHT covered me for using pre-blended oils) I now have the option to pay for a training course for a particular manufacturer's pre-blended oils (e.g. Neals Yard) or not renew my CThA membership next year and go back to the FHT and their insurance and know I am covered to use pre-blended oils. When I was with the FHT, if I called their office I usually got to talk to someone straight away who could answer the query or they would take a message and I would get a response the same day or the next day.
Jackie Thomas
Paul Michael Gilmore
Nov 10 2011 6:20PM
Why did you leave the FHT ?
Amanda Clegg
Nov 10 2011 6:21PM
interesting. I too, have pleaded with HO to look at the posts and respond on various occasions, but to no avail.

Might very well look at the FHT next year!
Paul Michael Gilmore
Nov 10 2011 6:22PM
Just curious Jacqueline, as i am considering jumping across to FHT, and the pre blended oil insurance will come in very useful.
Amanda Clegg
Nov 10 2011 6:26PM
I wonder, do Holistic Insurance Services only provide insurance to CThA, or are they a broker that other orgnaisations like the FHT can use - or could we even go direct?
Jacqueline Thomas
Nov 10 2011 8:51PM
I left FHT because a colleague recommended the CTha to me and had found she got a good response to the website listing (Embody). I did get calls from new clients via Embody for a while, but have not had any enquiries recently. I shall be looking very closely at the renewal fees and insurance premiums next year, as I have now started working for a Hospice at Home charity which provides complementary therapies to patients and their carers in their own homes. This is extremely rewarding work, but not highly paid.
Regards
Jackie Thomas
Jacqueline Thomas
Nov 10 2011 8:51PM
I left FHT because a colleague recommended the CTha to me and had found she got a good response to the website listing (Embody). I did get calls from new clients via Embody for a while, but have not had any enquiries recently. I shall be looking very closely at the renewal fees and insurance premiums next year, as I have now started working for a Hospice at Home charity which provides complementary therapies to patients and their carers in their own homes. This is extremely rewarding work, but not highly paid.
Regards
Jackie Thomas

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Announcements / Events