Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Francesca Franco, Oct 24 2011 5:18PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

regulation on using pre-blended oils

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to my question: as a Holistic Massage Therapist not qualified in Aromatherapy, can I use pre-blended oils made from a recognized aromatherapy company?
Thanks
Marian Child
Oct 24 2011 5:53PM
Here is a link to a post I started earlier on the same subject. Hope this helps

http://www.ctha.com/Forums/default.aspx?b=7673
Francesca Franco
Oct 25 2011 5:49PM
Thanks Marian. I am a member of CThA but I am not insured through the CThA Insurance company. I have to ask my Insurance Company if I will be covered while using pre-blended oils. Just wondering, if my company says that I am covered, would it be enough or should it be better still not to use them, considering that I am a member of CThA?
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 28 2011 6:13PM
Here is another link to an ongoing discussion. I am still awaiting a reply to my e-mail to the CThA and have chased them again this week.
www.ctha.com/Forums/?b=11299&login=1
Regards
Jackie Thomas
Francesca Franco
Oct 28 2011 7:37PM
Thank you very much for your post Jacqueline!
It was very informative and clear. When the Holistic insurance says that therapists should only do what they have been trained for, it is right. However, what a therapist is doing while using pre blended oils is just that, using oils that have been blended by somebody with the aromatherapy qualification, which means that the oil is safe. The responsibility of the therapist is to ask the routine questions to each client to ensure that there are not allergies or skin conditions present or anything else which could contraindicate the use of any essential oils as well as almond oil. In other words, the therapist should always go through the consultation form with the client, but that is all. If I buy a pre blended oil which states to enhance "relaxation", and my client does not suffer of any form of allergy or specific conditions such as high or low blood pressure, then I do not see why the pre-blended oil should not be used. I think that, if it is reasonable that all therapists should have a training before be allowed to use pre-blended oils, then should be up to the professional associations to include the training as a free workshop for their members. Honestly, I do not see how anything else would be considered fair. Also, if FHT allows its members to use pre blended oils, that means that there is not in place a specific regulation which limits the use of pre blended oils only to trained therapists. Therefore, unless it become a specific regulation, using pre blended oil should not be contraindicated for therapists.
Jacqueline Thomas
Nov 9 2011 6:59PM
I now have a reply, by e-mail, from the CThA, as follows:-

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM, CThA Administration <info@ctha.com> wrote:

"Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The experts have responded to the following
a) cover for practitioners who are not qualified to mix and blend products but use in the course of treatments, proprietary branded base oils and/or talcum powder and/or creams and/or wipes provided such products are used in accordance with the Manufacturers' instructions."

This is not intended for the use of any essential oils without training. It states “proprietary branded base oils” most of which will have been covered in all massage qualifications. We will provide cover for the use of pre-blended oils containing essential oils provided that they have been on a training course and that they only use that brand of pre blended oils e.g Aromatherapy Associates, Neals Yard.

The other option is for the client to bring their own pre-blended oils and for the consent form to state that they understand that the therapist is not qualified in aromatherapy and as such can give no advice as to the use of essential oils. Use of the oil is on the instruction of the client."

I have now asked for further clarification from Vilas at the CThA that the final two points will be clearly stated in the Holistic Services Insurance policy as these are not mentioned in my documents. I also feel that the the first paragraph of General Policy Memorandum, Item 2 a) is not clearly worded. This appears on Page 5 of the insurance policy.

Having discussed this with other therapists and the FHT, I am aware that I would be covered to use pre-blended oils (as I always was in the past) if I was a member of the FHT and had their insurance again. I would not have to pay for any further training, as this was covered in my original VTCT Swedish Massage course at Guildford College.

Kind regards
Jackie Thomas
Marian Child
Nov 9 2011 8:18PM
That is fantastic. I think that clears up quite a few points. Will print this and put it with the insurance documentation until it appears as standard.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments