Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Sandra Mary Smith, Nov 2 2011 7:57PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

urgent

Hi,
please advise.
The client I am visiting tomorrow to do a massage for has just been in touch to let me know her grandson who she cared for yesterday has today been confirmed to have chicken pox. Is it okay to do the massage with normal hygiene procedures, or am I risking spreading this infection.
The client and myself had chicken pox as children.
I cant seem to decide myself how to proceed. Hopefully someone can jog my memory as to what is right.
Many thanks Sandra
Nicki Lee
Nov 3 2011 9:55AM
I'd be guessing. Why don't you ring NHS direct, or your own surgery. They should know.

Good luck!
Sandra Mary Smith
Nov 9 2011 1:32PM
Thanks for your advice, Iv been in touch with my own gps surgery who were happy to advise. I also sent the querry to CthA. Thanks again Sandra
Nicki Lee
Nov 9 2011 1:34PM
What did your surgery advise? Would you be contagious 2 times removed from the source, so to speak?
Sandra Mary Smith
Nov 9 2011 1:52PM
The advice (from my gps surgery):- No need to avoid contact, shingles does not occur from coming into contact with someone who has been incontact with chicken pox. Shingles can occur at anytime, for no known reason or because a person is run down, it is linked to your own history of having chicken pox. Good to come into contact as it can boost your own immunity.
(please note, any one reading this should take advice from their own surgery as I have spoken to someone else who didnt think this sounded right)

CThA advice was :- The client should contact their own doctor regarding this. They suggested not providing a treatment until the child has been given the all clear.
Regards Sandra
Patrick Pires
Nov 9 2011 6:26PM
When in doubt, stay clear! Don't split hairs on this. Move on to another client

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments