Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Smith, Jun 22 2006 1:24PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Advertising on Dcrs appointment cards

Am posting this to hopefully help other therapists avoid the same problems I have experienced.

Long story short - I was contacted by a company offereing preferential advertising on Dcrs appointment cards. Had loads of problems with proofing, printing incorrect proofs, advertising showing on different Dcrs surgerys to those I'd signed up to, and being misled about the preferential adverising (which was the reason I'd signed up in the first place).

At first I thought it was a scam I'd be caught with so I checked to see if the company was registered with companies house and they were. Seems that this wasn't the case they just seem to be very bad at the job.
I spoke to another therapist who was on one of the cards, and she's had all the same kind of problems.

Also I've had no contacts for business from these cards, but have had contacts through the EMBODY listing - my advice - save your money and stick to your EMBODY listing.

If anyone wants to contact me for more details please feel free.

jane

Mariette Lobo
Jun 22 2006 3:36PM
Jane - so sorry you had to go through all of this. I'm not surprised as there are several organisation out there (all of them seem credible) claiming links (rather tenuous I'm afraid) to the NHS and NHS organisations. They all charge, and they all fail to deliver.

Mariette
Jane Smith
Jul 2 2006 10:50PM
Quick update on this one. If anyone is contacted by any company about this kind of thing I'd suggest you go to the Healthy Pages forums and look under General forums, business development, marketing scams and read the information posted there. It makes illuminated reading!

http://www.healthypages.net/forum/m.asp?m=246586

jane

Edith Maskell
Jul 9 2006 2:28PM
Hi

I agree. This kind of advertising isn't exactly a scam however, the reality is that Hospitals and PCT Trusts HAVE to produce a leaflet for their patients informing them of the services provided at the various GP practices, hospitals etc. As we all kno, it costs a lot of money to produce a shiny brochure, so they employ marketing companies to sell advertising to unsuspecting local business people. That way, production of the brochures does not cost the NHS anything.

Whether it is your details on the back of appointment cards, surgery brochures, hospital indicator boards or information provided in every locker besides hospital beds the outcome is the same.

When I was first approached I asked whether if I bought advertising, the GP Practice concerned would allow me to advertise in their surgeries and whether the GP's in question would refer patients to me. The rsponse was a very robust "no". So "why would I want to pay to advertise and do them any favours" was my response" to which the marketeers had no answer.

Additionally, look around the surgeries and hospitals - how many of those people you see are going to invest in complementary health (ie your services) when they qare clearly so heavily entrenched in orthodox medicine, otherwise why would they be there?

I also telephoned people who were currently advertising and asked them if they had found it a worthwhile exercise. In every single case, the answer was "no business at all". So I agree, invest your hard earned cash elsewhere until the medical profession are willing to integrate our services and refer patients to us more readily.

Edith Maskell
Rosemary Johnson
Jul 9 2006 7:15PM
Edith suggests people in GPs' surgeries or hospitals are unlikely to invest in complementary therapy, as they clearly heavily entreched in conventional medicine, or why would they be there:
That's a bit black-and-white, isn't it?!! Surely there are plenty of people who pay for complementary therapies, and who'd also go to the GP or hospital if/when they needed to.
Me for one..... I recently spent five hours in an A&E (yuk!) when I'd fallen off a horse and feared I had a cracked pelvis. Fortunately, it turned out not to be - and the doctor actually recommended massage. I hardly think I'd have been walking down the road to the local comp.therapy centre to deal with a broken pelvis - in fact, it was best part of a week before I could walk at all, which was why I found myself in the ambulance in the first place.
Rosemary

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion