Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Helen Albea, Jun 7 2012 10:23PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Problem registering with CNCH?

Has anyone else had a problem registering with CNCH?

I applied for registration at the start of the year. And I’m still waiting!!! I called Ctha recently to chase it up – again - and they told me they could not process my application because I did my course in 2005 and the standards of that course do not meet that of current courses in 2012. They are working on finding a solution. (have courses changed that much??)

I’m just wondering about other people’s experience of this and also wondering what registering with this body will do for me. What do they actually do?!! Except charge us an extra £55 on top of the voluntary registration we already take out and give us another logo to stick on our marketing. There is quite a favourable post about them in this section of the forum but it is from 2009, and not much seems to have happened since.

I find it rather silly that I cannot register with them. When I did my course in 2005, it was one of the best around and I got a qualification from both ITEC and MTI. I have since done other massage diplomas such as sports, pregnancy, chair etc etc. I have been working as a massage therapist for almost 6 years within the NHS. If I applied for a brand new job now within the NHS I wouldn’t get it because they have made it mandatory to be registered with CNCH. I’m assuming that someone who qualified recently and has little or no experience can register instantly. Seems a daft system but I have to say I haven’t put in the effort to research their website or work.

So if any one has any comments I would be interested.

Meanwhile I will keep telling my manager that the application is 'in process'. In January I will be a newly qualified reflexologist so will hopefully be able to register with CNCH via this route instead ?!?!
April Higgins
Jul 4 2012 2:28PM
Hi Helen

I know where you are coming from.I originally qualified in 1994 it was an 18 month course and at the time was one of the best private training schools around registered with ISPA. Like you I am having problems getting my original qualification recognised even though I have been practising for nearly 18 years and also worked within an NHS funded resource.If you have a look at the BCMA website they have a few things to say about the way the industry is being standardised and regulated, it doesn't make good reading. I have since 1994 kept up my CPD and trained in various types of massage some of which are before 2005 and they seem to be an issue as well. It has got so ridiculous and I am so fed up with it that I am now enrolling on a VTCT course to get a DIPLOMA that all should be ok with. The irony is I met the girl who will be teaching the course and she qualified in 2005!! I personally don't like the way regulation is going and I think more therapists need to have a look at this because it is going to effect all of us, the regulations are going the way it is in the USA and if you go on the forums you hear so many therapists over there are exasperated with the restrictions on their practice.
Helen Albea
Jul 5 2012 12:18AM
Thanks for your response. I thought there must be other people affected by this, and that is just silly isn't it that your teacher is less experienced.

I wish there was just one main body where registration is straight forward and compulsory for all massage therapists. Not all these differing, voluntary ones. And now the CNCH has come along and made us totally confused!! I hope in the future it develops into something similar to the CSP for physios or NMC for nurses. They are well known to public and professionals and work to constantly develop and support their professions. The only essential I see in having my registration with CThA is to be able to have insurance and advice if I ever get sued by one of my clients. There is a big focus on this rather than any serious research and development of massage therapy, which when you compare it to something like the CSP is pretty poor. I often wonder how many clients actually do sue after receiving a massage? What are the statistics per year?! It must be very low. How many members of the general public have really cared about how we word our websites and leaflets. I'm sure its not enough to warrant all the fuss thats made by these so called helpful bodies! We are now not allowed to say massage can do anything for you or claim to treat any conditions for fear of breaching the ASA and being sued. It is becoming more like the USA everyday!!

I tried to register in the USA once and gave up because they have what seems like a similar system to CNCH. You need transcripts of hours completed and modules studied. It was very hard to get this info from my british course providers and the hours worked out to be too low. The only option was to pay $10,000 to re-do a dimploma there, and the syllabus was basically the same as the UK but full time over a year. Its hard enough to make money as a self-employed therapist without having to pay to re-do courses. I found a great deal of fuss was made there about bringing in compulsory licencing of therapists and that every one must register immediately. But, 4 years later the state I lived in have still not achieved this. Despite years of campaigning by the American Massage Association, the laws have not been fully established. Anyone can still call themselves a massage therapist and prostitutes still advertise freely as massage therapists. So it would have been a huge expenditure of time and money just be able to say I'm a licenced therapist when it wasn't neccessary.

I just hope the CNCH is worth the wait and effort for us.
Marcus Staff
Jul 5 2012 2:22PM
I registered with CNHC for massage therapy and reflexology when it started, my 2004 MTI diploma was accepted, although I was a member of MTI and AoR at the time, not CThA.

I am still waiting for CThA to decide if they are going to verify for Reiki, I find it weird that they are taking so long to decide as they have a reiki teacher register and are members of the Reiki Council. I don't really want to have to pay £40 to get FHT or UK Reiki Federation to verify my CNHC application as well as the £10 CNHC fee. Joining a multi-therapy associations was supposed to save me time and money... oh well.

Marcus
Marcus Staff
Jul 5 2012 2:59PM
As voluntary regulation seems to be with us for the foreseeable future, perhaps CThA should only offer membership for therapies/qualifications that they would be willing to verify.
Helen Albea
Jul 16 2012 1:19PM
Aha, my approval just came through!

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Regulation and CAM