Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Hopwood, Jun 10 2012 9:58PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

MASSAGE CHAIR

Hi all, I about to embark on chair massage for a local charity. They are offering to pay for the chair and have asked me to source one. I have never done chair massage but obviously intend to learn fast. Can anyone give me guidance on buying a chair and any books that will help. I do have my own business in holistic massage, hot stones and reflexology and thought that I could help this charity with a bit of my time. I have always got great advice and response so please - help. Kind regards jane
Nicki Lee
Jun 10 2012 10:24PM
Hi Jane,
I know a lot of people have been very happy with chairs they bought off Ebay, but I'd be careful about buying something you haven't had a chance to try out. You want to take into account its weight, its footprint including space for yourself vs the workspace you will have, how long it takes to set up and how adjustable it is, as well as how comfortable for the client. Best way is to sit in it yourself and have someone lean into your back to see if you are comfortable. If you go on a workshop to learn some techniques this is something that hopefully they would go over with you, together with seating the client properly.
My main chair is an Earthlite which was very expensive when I bought it 10 years ago, but it has held up beautifully, is robust and incredibly comfortable for clients.
Another option is a table top unit as they are cheaper, easy to transport and quick to set up. The downside is that most of the one's I've seen the last few years are not that great for client comfort and several I wouldn't trust not to collapse or get pulled off the table too easily when the client moves.
Best of luck with this new way of working - it's very rewarding and you can give a wonderfully relaxing massage on one, as well as do remedial work to the shoulders and neck easily, if that's something that you do.
Nicki
Nicki Lee
Jun 10 2012 10:24PM
Hi Jane,
I know a lot of people have been very happy with chairs they bought off Ebay, but I'd be careful about buying something you haven't had a chance to try out. You want to take into account its weight, its footprint including space for yourself vs the workspace you will have, how long it takes to set up and how adjustable it is, as well as how comfortable for the client. Best way is to sit in it yourself and have someone lean into your back to see if you are comfortable. If you go on a workshop to learn some techniques this is something that hopefully they would go over with you, together with seating the client properly.
My main chair is an Earthlite which was very expensive when I bought it 10 years ago, but it has held up beautifully, is robust and incredibly comfortable for clients.
Another option is a table top unit as they are cheaper, easy to transport and quick to set up. The downside is that most of the one's I've seen the last few years are not that great for client comfort and several I wouldn't trust not to collapse or get pulled off the table too easily when the client moves.
Best of luck with this new way of working - it's very rewarding and you can give a wonderfully relaxing massage on one, as well as do remedial work to the shoulders and neck easily, if that's something that you do.
Nicki
Jane Hopwood
Jun 11 2012 8:11AM
Thanks Nikki for the great advice. Kind regards Jane
Kerry Oliver
Jun 16 2012 8:51AM
Hi Jane,
I was in a similar position to you re buying a massage chair a few months ago - it is incredibly difficult to buy without trying them out - I trawled lots of websites and utube vids and got good advice from this forum (you will find the thread if you trawl back i expect) I ended up getting a Stronglite Ergo Pro from Stressbusters website, partly because at £300ish it was good quality but cheaper than other highly recommended chairs like Oakworks Portal Pro and Pisces Dolphin(and came with carrycase and chest cushion as part of the deal) was portable with wheels, could take a very heavy/big client and had detachable knee pads. Have had it 3 months now, used it with a varirty of clients in different locations and am happy with it overall,

Before that I had a cheaper one from Best Massage which was very portable and fine for doing the odd session but not adjustable or sturdy enough for everyone.

My advice is think carefully about what you need it for, types of clients etc, how portable it needs to be, and it depends on the charity's budget too of course.

Good luck - it would be good to hear what ypu decide and how you get on.
Jane Hopwood
Jun 18 2012 8:39AM
Thank you Kerry. I am going to look over next couple of days and see whats available.
Aleksandra Jawulska
Jun 19 2012 12:13PM
Hello Kerry,
I just found this post, as I'm also looking for a portable chair and always prefer to buy better quality, and on this occasion am able to spend the required amount.
Just had a look on the Internet for the stronglite ergo pro and only found it sold in the states. Are there any sites that sell it in the UK? Or did you also buy it from there?
Any help would be great.

Aleksandra
Aleksandra Jawulska
Jun 19 2012 12:16PM
Sorry Kerry, just realised you had mentioned stressbusters, that is all the help I need. Thank you anyway.
All the best, Aleksandra

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion