Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Sharon Romina Motwani, Aug 21 2006 2:23PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Setting yourself up as a Reiki Practitioner

Hi
I'm looking for advice on how best to set myself up as a Reiki Practitioner. I'll be working out of a salon and a gym; I have insurance and am a member of Embody. I'll be registering as self-employed and I'm keen to find out what have other people's experiences have been in setting themselves up. What are the things I should consider on setting myself up?
Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated!
Sharon
David Sowden
Aug 21 2006 3:45PM
Hi ya

To be on the Embody Reiki register you need to study to at least Reiki level 2 from a Embody/CThA approved Reiki Teacher. Click onto the Education & Training link for more information. ITEC have recently introduced a Level 3 Diploma in Holistic Reiki and would take you up to Reiki Master Practitioner.

As for making a living from Reiki, that depends on the area you live in. A lot of Reiki practitioners make a overall living by teaching Reiki and practising other therapies (that's was I do personally). Reiki has hardly any contraindications, clients don't have to take their clothes off, and often allow the client progress deeper within a treatment program.

An important aspect of Reiki is that it is also for yourself and your healing journey.

Best Wishes

Dave Sowden
Embody/CThA Reiki Teacher
ITEC Lecturer in Holistic Reiki

David Sowden
Aug 21 2006 3:50PM
Sorry just realised you already practice. Take no notice of the training stuff. But I feel that the best way of promoting Reiki is with other therapies, i.e. massage, crystal healing, reflexology, counselling etc.

Cheers

Dave.
Sharon Romina Motwani
Aug 21 2006 5:00PM
Hi Dave
Thanks for your prompt response and advice. I'm just doing Reiki at the mo but I will look into other therapies and the prospect of offering attunements in the future.
Do you mind if I ask how long it took to get things really going for you as a therapist? Just to get an idea of how things could go….
Thanks Dave
Sharon
David Sowden
Aug 22 2006 10:30AM
Hi ya Sharon

Hard for me to answer your question as different practitioners have different stories to tell. Depends what you wish to do. Is it part-time or full-time work you are looking at? Is it a career or a hobby? It has taken me 10 years to develop slowly a full time therapy/teaching practice. But the blood, sweat and tears was worth it. The thing that really improved things was studying Indian Head and Thai Yoga Massage. But this is not a recommendion. I think it is good to go with your heart than what is trendy. Also developing a theme to market yourself with is good. I gone for the "Oriental Therapies" angle being also a Thai massage therapist and a Tai Chi & Qi Gong instructor.

Setting goals is always good - where do you see yourself in 3 to 5 years? Other piece of advice I would give is becareful of advertising. It can be an absolute waste of money. Yellow Pages are generally better as this is where to find professional practitioners. High quality (not a crappy thing from a computer printer) professionally designed business card is worth every penny spent. People keep cards, they chuck leaflets in the bin!

I'm off on holiday from tomorrow for a week, so I wish you the best.

Cheers

Dave.
Sharon Romina Motwani
Aug 22 2006 11:16AM
Hey Dave
Thanks so much for your insights and advice, much appreciated. Wishing you a wonderful holiday, enjoy!
Sharon

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion