Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Roxanne Degarie, Oct 19 2012 11:59AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Health & Safety of my table

Hi! Silly question perhaps, but, trying to work out on How to make sure my table is still safe and the max weight bearing? The website of the manufacturer I got it from no longer exist...www.evergreentables.co.uk So any comments/tips highly appreciated! The brand is Wave 02
Tnanks!
Nicki Lee
Oct 19 2012 12:13PM
Wow, what an excellent question! I'm sorry that I don't have any idea, but it does raise the question of whether tables should be checked periodically - maybe in the same way electrical equipment has be to regularly tested. Luckily mine is a huge electric table so I don't have this issue at the moment, but I suppose my massage chair could be having some sort of metal fatigue.

I'll be interested in seeing what other therapists advise, and do themselves. I did hear that a therapist at a local event last summer had her table collapse with a client on it - luckily it sort of slowly sank down and no one was hurt.

I suppose if it is wooden a carpenter could advise if structurally sound, if metal maybe some sort of engineering firm?

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Nicki
Roxanne Degarie
Oct 19 2012 12:18PM
yes, wood base
Angela Rawlins
Oct 19 2012 1:52PM
Hi

Very good idea! My husband mentioned this to me when I was considering a new couch. He said the combined weight of patient and ME leaning on it! I bought a Darley couch which takes up to 30 stone:) Hope that might help. The construction is steel legs and strong wooden bed
Roxanne Degarie
Oct 19 2012 3:10PM
Found out about the weight. Now just need to know how to make sure it is safe and when its needed to be changed.
Nicki Lee
Oct 19 2012 4:44PM
I think even if you found instructions or information about how much weight your own table would take, it still wouldn't take into account if it were still safe, as the manufacturers could not anticipate how old it was, how it was used, any problems, etc. (When I was teaching at the college the students weren't allowed to sit on the couches as we thought this would put an uneven strain on them.)
Amanda Clegg
Oct 19 2012 6:00PM
hmm. very valid point: my Oakworks table is now about 9 years old and still (hopefully) going strong, but I've no idea how to check for metal fatigue.
Nicki Lee
Oct 19 2012 6:03PM
I'm on some very informative forums through Linked In, with several thousand members - I'll pose a question there and see if anyone has anything substantive to say. If so, I'll post it here.
Roxanne Degarie
Oct 19 2012 6:05PM
brilliant thank you for that!
Nicki Lee
Nov 9 2012 10:41AM
Hi Roxanne,

I've put this question on one of the Linked In forums and had a few replies, here's the link to see what was said

http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=176997162&gid=82807&commentID=103697620&trk=view_disc&ut=2H5XcHkreqYBs1

You may need to be a member of linked in to see it, but that only takes a minute and then you don't have to participate if you don't want to, although I find it useful.

If you need an introduction to join let me know and I'll send you one (just send me your email address.)

Nicki
Roxanne Degarie
Jan 21 2013 5:18PM
I never said thank you for posting the question on Linked In. Thank you very much for you time!

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion