Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Anita Tandon, Nov 20 2012 8:51PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

help/advice requested

Dear All

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have recently set myself as a massage therapist and have no real experience of running a business and all that goes with it. I was wondering if there is anyone out there you would be willing to act as mentor to me. It would also be good to be able to contact other therapists to discuss issues although I am very impressed with the discussion forums and the quick responses obtained.

In return, I may be able to give some advice/direction relating to health and safety matters.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes
Anita.

Nicki Lee
Nov 20 2012 9:02PM
Hi Anita,

These are good forums for questions and advice, but you can reach even more therapists with Linked In, especially if you join some of the Groups which have lots of conversations going on about a lot of issues you'll be facing. The majority seem to be from the U.S. and there are a fair few from Australia and other countries, but some groups are more specifically UK and you can always pose questions yourself.

If you want me to send you an invite to join just send me your email; you can also then see the groups I'm participating in.

Otherwise, re general business advice, there used to be free advice from the council in our area, so it's worth checking where you live if there is something similar.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer if I can - I've been self employed for about 14 years working from home, doing corporate massage, and also in various clinics at times over the years.

Best of luck wit your business!

Nicki
Janice Hamilton
Nov 21 2012 12:35PM
Here in Scotland we are fortunate to have the Business Gateway which is run in areas all over the country and it is specifically for people who want to start a business or expand their existing business - it is funded by the Scottish Government - perhaps there is something similar in your area - I would recommend this type of thing, because they take you through step by step what you need to do, they run workshops on a variety of topics including tax, vat etc., and also run regular networking events. I would say if you are a complete beginner something like this would help you, as the service is free. I was fortunate enough to serve what I call an apprenticeship with my last boss, as we ran the company together so I was ready to start my own business, even so, I'm still learning. If you continue to post on this forum, I will endeavour to answer any questions and give any help, but am unable to make time to mentor you. Start with the internet, it's your best friend in this case!!!
Regards
Janice
Christine Gbolade
Nov 22 2012 10:24AM
Most important thing is not to panic! You are on a journey and there will be ups and downs with therapy business start ups. I see you do Reiki. You should join a group to meet like minded people who share your work. Do some volunteering, or taster treatments. Its always easy to want to "run before we walk"
I would recommend to check out www.healthypages.com (great forum and advice) also get a good website, be confident in what you do, create a face book page, link with clinics. ..The world is your oyster, Good luck! Christine :)
Angelina Kelly
Nov 22 2012 4:46PM
Hi Anita,

Welcome to our world. As our other colleague said, don't panic. Here in the republic of Ireland we have business courses run specifically for therapists which serves to guide us as to how to be "professional", I'm sure there are similar courses where you are.

Keep in touch with us here through this contact so that we do can guide you with our experience. The one thing I will say to you right from the start is CHARGE FOR YOUR TIME AND SERVICES don't think that because you are new you need to undersell yourself, you do not. People and especially clients will respect you more if you charge a fee that marks you as a professional, try to find out what others in your area/line of expertise are charging and at least charge the same. Find something that other therapists are not doing for their clients and you do it for yours, it doesn't matter what that is as long as it is something that no one else is doing and makes your clients feel special.

Most of all, look after yourself, in our enthusiasm to be help we tend to forget about ourselves. Your most important client is YOURSELF.

Good luck and, once again, welcome.

Regards

Angelina Kelly
Anita Tandon
Nov 22 2012 8:57PM
Dear Nikki,Janice,Christine and Angeline

Thank you for your responses and words of encouragement and possible avenues to explore. You have given me some courage and hope for the moment. Unfortunately Buisness link was a great resource but this scheme has finished, however I will try and find if there is buisness group locally which I can sign up to. Obviously this shows that these forums are a good way to talk and discuss isssues of concern. Thank you once again for your time and support.
Louise Enticknap
Nov 22 2012 10:25PM
Dear Anita

I am a member of a local therapist's network run by Jane Miller - we meet informally and share experinces, advice and thoughts on our practices. Jane runs the Therapist's Coach : a business offering the sort of support and advice that you might be looking for. http://www.thetherapistscoach.com/

I have also asked my own massage therapist to mentor me - maybe you could ask a few trusted and successful individuals around you? Good luck!

Louise
Stuart Dare
Nov 29 2012 3:57PM
Join Holistic Health Practitioners UK on LinkedIn here.
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=1511487&trk=anet_ug_hm
This is a group specifically for Therapists in the UK look forward to seeing you there.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion