Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Alison Block, Nov 23 2012 9:14PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

hypo/hyper thyroid

Hi,I was with a client this evening and explained that because its the first time shes had a treatment from me i wanted to go through a consultion with her, she told me she had a couple of massages before with other therapists and they never gave her a consultation at all,I explained that its only the once you need to go through a consultation with a therapist and then the therapist keeps it on record and its between you and your therapist. she then went on to explain that she has and underactive thyroid and because i was unsure on weather or not to carry out the treatment (as this is the first experiance i had with someone with this problem and know a tiny bit of the sypmtoms of this condition ) so i sugested a note from the doctor just as a confirmation to go ahead with future massage treatments.

I was just wanting to know if i was giving her the correct advice? or should I have done the treatment anyway knowing that I wasnt 100% sure it was safe to do so?

would love to hear other peoples thoughts on the matter.

thanks

Alison

Mike Colquhoun
Nov 24 2012 10:52AM
Hi Alison
'If you do no good that is acceptable so long as you do no harm' This is the guiding principal of massage and why I have stayed a Masseur, personally would rather fail to help than risk doing harm.
So far as I can see you are absolutely right.
Yours aye Mike
Nicki Lee
Nov 24 2012 11:59AM
I agree, Alison, if you are not confident with any situation it's best not to go ahead at the time. You can ask for a doctor's view or even have time to do some research if you wait, or refer to another practitioner. This is why when a new client books over the phone I ask if they have any medical conditions. (Of course the times they say no, and then consultation does reveal something is frequent!)
A book I find extremely useful for considering contraindications and adaptations to treatment is 'A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology' by Ruth Werner (really - I recommend this so much to colleagues and students I wish I owned stock in Amazon!!)
As you get more experience you'll be more comfortable treating conditions you've seen before and you'll probably find you need to refer out to others less often, but this will develop over time and meanwhile it is important to work within your comfort zone.
Best of luck,
Nicki
Nicki Lee
Nov 24 2012 11:59AM
I agree, Alison, if you are not confident with any situation it's best not to go ahead at the time. You can ask for a doctor's view or even have time to do some research if you wait, or refer to another practitioner. This is why when a new client books over the phone I ask if they have any medical conditions. (Of course the times they say no, and then consultation does reveal something is frequent!)
A book I find extremely useful for considering contraindications and adaptations to treatment is 'A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology' by Ruth Werner (really - I recommend this so much to colleagues and students I wish I owned stock in Amazon!!)
As you get more experience you'll be more comfortable treating conditions you've seen before and you'll probably find you need to refer out to others less often, but this will develop over time and meanwhile it is important to work within your comfort zone.
Best of luck,
Nicki
Alison Block
Nov 24 2012 3:32PM
Thank you so much Mike and Nikki I really appricate the advice :). I will definitely take a look at reading the book you recommended me Nikki.

Alison

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments