Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Tina Davies, Feb 5 2013 9:45AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Going to clients homes to treatments

Hi, i used to practice a few years ago but only done aromatherapy massage treatments for women only. When i advertise i am always worried about getting replies off men although i do have ITEC qualifed etc. I seem to get more replies off men that women.

I have never massaged men and am a little worried about going to their homes to perform treatments.

Any tips how i can deal with this and advise on security.
Neville Dalton
Feb 5 2013 11:23AM
Don't go anywhere you're not happy with. In other words, satisfy yourself that the client is OK before going to their home. That may mean accepting only those men who have been recommended by other clients or friends or family, or treating them at a neutral venue (such as a salon or room hired in a public building) first.

And of course, make sure people know where you are and roughly how long you expect to be there.

I'm male and like visiting different therapists, and I would hate to be refused treatment when I am perfectly respectable. But I have to say, I wouldn't blame a female therapist from being wary at first. I am often surprised at how confident they seem - which presumably means their experiences have been good ones.

Female colleagues may send you a more positive message than I have, but one of the first things we were taught on our course was: make your safety paramount.

Having said all that, judging by previous comments on this forum, I get the impression that therapists are less concerned for their safety than simply that the client might want more than just a massage. In which case, clarity of what you do at the booking stage should largely sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Good luck - and sorry if I sound a bit negative.
Angelina Kelly
Feb 5 2013 11:31AM
Hi Tina,

I am a woman therapist and I completely agree with Neville. Clarity at the onset, in other words at the booking stage over the phone, make it absolutely clear what you do and DON'T DO and insist on it. Do not be persuaded to do anything you are not trained to do. I agree with all his other advice. Your safety comes first.

Regards
Angelina Kelly
Reflexologist
Janice Hamilton
Feb 5 2013 12:00PM
I am a female therapist who works full-time at consulting rooms and I do have a number of male clients. I feel safe in the environment because there are other therapists around and it is quite clear from our website and the rooms themselves that we are professional therapists. I practised from home for a while years ago and did accept male clients but only people I knew or who had been referred. I personally would not go to a male's home to offer therapies of any kind as I think the worry of what I was going into would always be at the back of my mind and I think it would effect the quality of therapy I was offering - you have to be comfortable and confident when you are offering therapies. If you want to continue offering therapies it's a good idea to start with a plan as to what kind of clients you want to work with, therefore, it might be a good idea for you to ask at a local salon or clinic about rents and hire on a pay as you go basis - if these men are serious about the treatment they'll turn up ok and it would help build your confidence being with other therapists and seeing how they deal with male clients and, as has already been said, sort the wheat from the chaff. Just my opinion, though, the choice is yours.
Regards
Janice
Kristel Horwood
Feb 5 2013 2:42PM
I agree with all previous posts. I work from home - I often get dodgy phonecalls, however I have learnt how to deal with them in a professional manner. If I think a call is genuine I ask specific questions and depending on the answers I know I am safe. If someone says, I lift a lot for my work and my shoulders ache, or I sit at my computer all day long and my back hurts, I know these calls are ok. If I receive a phonecall and they say I am lazy and feel bored, or what extras do you offer, I know to close the call professionally.
I ask them a lot of questions, so I have an idea of what type of client will show up at my doorstep.
I have also refused giving a massage treatment once a man was in my treatment room.
Hope this helps. Be strong and know what you want.
Good luck !
Sandra Mary Smith
Feb 5 2013 2:45PM
hi,
I work mobile and would only accept a male client by referral, it would need to be a personal referral too, someone who knows someone, cant be to careful. Agree with comments above, and will not put myself in a position which would make the treatment worrying or uncomfortable.
:)
Tina Davies
Feb 5 2013 3:46PM
Thanks everyone for your experience and tips. Its been very helpful.
Sue Hannaford
Feb 5 2013 9:29PM
Hi there. I used to do home visits. I would give men treatments as long as their wife/partner/girlfriend was in the house. This also tended to sort the wheat from the chaff! I would either get a "oh no" or, well it's difficult to organise and all that baloney. The ones that were genuine had no problem with it.

I actually had a very loyal client for a long time who I kept treating once he had split up with the initial "chaperone" girlfriend. I once told him about a particular "dodgy" call I had received - and he wanted to ring and have a word with the guy! Not only did he feel protective of me and insulted on my behalf, he was annoyed that people who behave like that make it difficult for men like him who genuinely want a decent treatment.

As for safety, as with any peripatetic working, let someone know where you are going and when you will be leaving, even if it was a female booking, for the first appointment.

Oh and trust your intuition and commonsense - if it doesn't feel or sound right to you, then it probably isn't. Then the worst that can happen is that you miss out on a new client.
Elizabeth Rabone
Feb 6 2013 7:40PM
Hi, I always have the male client come to my premises for the first treatment (apart from one whose wife I knew and who booked the treatment for him!) so that, if they are dodgy, I'm on home territory and my big fierce partner and big fierce dog are in the next room. (The dog does actually sound quite fierce when the doorbell rings, though in fact he's an utter teddy bear.)
Helen Peacock
Apr 9 2013 2:23PM
Tina, the other posts have pretty much said it all. I am a mobile therapist and like you found a lot of men calling at first. I found that the genuine ones are prepared to make an appointment and say why they need a massage whereas the 'dodgy' ones expected me to come out that day. I made a point of never going to a male client the same day but always made an appointement and always left details of where and when I was going.
Secondly, don't be afraid to leave if you do feel uncomfortable. One man I went to, despite a lengthy telephone discussion beforehand, wanted me to massage him all over, including genitals. I refused and said I no longer felt comfortable doing any massage for him and left.
I don't want to advertise for women only as I do have some genuine male clients but I find that those who book through wives, partners etc are the ones I feel most comfortable with.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion