Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Sue Hannaford, Dec 10 2006 7:03PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

NOTW 2 FOR 1

I would be interested to gauge the response from other therapists, having bought a copy of the paper today and checked out the NOTW website.
John Dent
Dec 10 2006 7:32PM
Hi,
We will be asking all those who registered what their views are once the promotion is concluded.
John Dent
General manager
Ruth Maguire
Dec 10 2006 8:08PM
Hi Susan, I too bought a copy of the paper for the first time today and had a look at their website. Not a hugely impressive publication and the link on the website was quite difficult to see had to scroll right down.

That said the proof of the pudding will be how many enquiries it generates for us all and then how much of that we can convert into long term clients I suppose.

No enquiries today but hopefully the phone will be ringing off the hook tomorrow :)

Ruth
Joyce Laurie
Dec 11 2006 4:56PM
Hi

I was not too impressed with the ad.
While I understand it is for ALL therapists, I felt there were strong overtones towards the Beauty sector rather than
Complementary.

Yes, I know complimentary was mentioned (in small print) but even the picture of two girls with face masks on was imo "beauty", not complimentary.

Disappointed.

Joyce
John Dent
Dec 12 2006 10:30AM
The "public" perception as epitomised by newspaper journalists and editors of our profession is of the Beauty, Spa and health aspects. They see aromatheapy and massage more as part of the leisure industry and general health/beauty.
Newpapers generally do not think that their readers want "treatments for illnesses" from complementary therapists.
We did change a good deal of the original writing but what came out was fairly sensational, we agree.
There has been a massive increase in visitors to the Embody site in 2 days which means that a great many more people have "seen" us. How many actually go for treatments and how many actually become long term clients is of course quite another matter.
All "mass" advertising is of this type and the percentage "return" can never be high; however if we do not keep the name in front of the public the oppourtunities never arise.
The Daily Telegraph scheme is longer with more newspapewr exposure and the Sunday booklet. This we know is a proven method.
Incidentally the cost of "buying" this amount of national publicity through advertising would exceed the total of all members' subsciptions for for over a year!
John Dent
Sheryl Weston
Dec 15 2006 2:35PM
I too found the Ad very disappointing. With a stronger reference towards beauty rather than the complementary field. I had to hunt through the paper to find the Ad in the first place. Positioning was not good, plus Homer Simpson was on the same page!!!!

Come on Embody I thought you would do us proud. I will be interested to see how many 'new' clients this generates!
I am now waiting to see how the Telegraph Ad projects and hope 'professionalism' will shine through!
Sue Hannaford
Dec 17 2006 4:45PM
Can anyone tell me which page the offer is printed this week - I can't find it. Thanks.
John Dent
Dec 17 2006 4:54PM
Hi
It was only in the one day as stated on the details
John Dent
Penny Mallett
Jan 1 2007 5:28PM
Did anyone get any bookings as result of the News of the World ad? It sounds like some of you added to the papers coffers by buying the paper! I didnt get any response at all, which was disappointing - I had thought it would be like the Daily Telepgraph one, which was excellent!
Oh well, lets see what the new year brings
Penny
Abigail Bestwick
Jan 4 2007 5:39PM
Nothing at all for me either! Disappointed with the advert, my heart sank, actually. I understand that there is a certain idea in the public eye about complementary health which the paper was trying to appeal to - but surely there could have been a better image used rather than two girls with face masks on? Even a picture of a spa would have been more useful. You can't please everyone, but does this sort of advertising do anything to raise the profile of complementary health as most of us would like it to be perceived?
Glad that the hits for the Embody website went up during this campaign, but as the advert was heavily beauty therapy based, I wonder if the public would be inclined to put a complementary therapy in the search space on the homepage?
Hope the Telegraph ad is better or I'd better get a scoop for my heart again!

Abi Bestwick
John Dent
Jan 5 2007 10:19AM
Dear Abi,
We appreciate your point.
You are right in that in the popular press "Complementary Therapy" is more involved with the health and beauty side than the therapeutic.
Our problem for years has been to try and get the public to use our websites to find our members and now finally we are beginning to get them to do so.
As in many areas of life "you can take the horses to the water but you cannot make them drink"! Members webpages on the website do need to be attractive and welcoming; many have not updated theirs in this way. (It costs nothing to do it).
The most visited webpages are those with attactive visuals and full details of services provided.

Mass market papers show no interest at all in supporting the reality of complementary therapy, that sells no papers for them. The advert for the voucher scheme is the paper's not CThA's. We cannot control that at all unless we want to pay the whole cost by buying advertising space to do so. That would be prohibitively expensive.

If the News of the World promotion is shown to have been unproductive then we will not repeat it. We took it on as an addition to the Daily Telegraph one that seemed to work so well last year and which is being repeated later this month with a much longer exposure in the paper than News of thw World. As others have said it may have a more discerning readership too.

We will monitor it all and report to members.
Thanks for your comments; feedback and opinions are very important to us.

John Dent

Abigail Bestwick
Jan 5 2007 1:16PM
Hi John
Thanks for your reply too! I'm sure that with the vastly different techniques/therapies involved with CThA, it would be virtually impossible to please everyone with a national promotion!
It's worth a go anyway - as you said, if this has not reaped the rewards we were hoping it would, the choice is to not repeat the project, or for us to not join in next time.
Hope it has been a success for the Beauty Therapists - can you let us know the full evaluation for this side of Embody as well as CThA?

Abi
Tunde Oshodi
Jan 9 2007 4:49PM
Hi everyone

I've just seen this thread.

Well done Embody for working to raise the profile of complementary therapy with the NOTW promotion - it's just a shame so many of you were disappointed by it. It's probably true that it's not the right market for complementary therapy - the results will speak for themselves.

It does highlight the difficulty in trying market to the masses and as Abigail said, you can't be all things to all people. As a therapist your best bet is to aim your own marketing at the people who will value your services most and not try for a 'catch-all' approach.

Good luck to everyone who's taking part in the Daily Telegraph promotion - I look forward to finding out how successful it is.

Tunde x
Dorothy Kelly
Jan 10 2007 1:33AM
Hi John & All
I have to say that although the advertising was not on the scale of the Daily Telegraph I have had several clients booking through the scheme. A few have stated that although they have previously thought about experiencing complementary therapy it was the opportunity of 2 for 1 which spurred them on. Already several have made additional bookings - so in essence they are clients which I may not have got otherwise - and considering the low cost of the advertising which gave wide coverage I think I can say it was well worth it!
Many thanks all publicity and awareness of therapies is gratefully received.

Dorothy K
John Dent
Jan 10 2007 9:10AM
Hi Dorothy,
Thanks.
Good of you to report success. I think it is one of our endearing British traits that we hide our good under a bushel and let the bad out!

High levels of motivation in business comes from looking for the best: we are trying!

Best wishes
John Dent
Abigail Bestwick
Jan 10 2007 5:14PM
Hello - phew! I'm really glad that there has been a positive response from the promotion! Looking forward to the next one... and the next...

Abi
Angela Rawlins
Jan 17 2007 7:16PM
Hi

Just seen these posting and would like to add that I have'nt heard a dicky bird.

Last years promotion did'nt bring in many for me, only one couple who have since fallen by the wayside. However, one thing a friend of mine pointed out - what about your existing clients. If you are not registered and they present the required number of vouchers they may be disappointed.

I wonder wether this sort of promotion is of use as complementary therapies require a set number of treatments to be of real benefit. When the prospective new client comes and realises this, you may well lose them as they really only wanted 2 for 1!
Helen Dicks
Jan 19 2007 11:43AM
I didn't have one enquiry from NOTW but had about 5 enquiries from the Daily Telegraph last year, one of whom has become a regular and valued client.
I think it is worth trying these promotions as long as you have realistic expectations.
When I looked at the advert in NOTW I didn't really expect to get much interest so I allocated just one day to work between Christmas and New Year, booked in a couple of regulars and just waited to see if any one else using the offer contacted me. They didn't so I had the pleasure of sorting out my two regulars and took the rest of the day off to spend with my family.
I have higher expectations of the DT promotion but again I may not be so lucky this time.
I always mention the promotion to my regulars who I know are not that well off. They used the vouchers last year and gained some free treatments. I may or may not have lost out financially (depending on whether they would have booked a treatment anyway) but it showed goodwill on my part and hopefully will keep their loyalty.
I know it can be hard working for nothing, especially when the new client has only come to get a free treatment but in business you have to speculate to accumulate. Sometimes it works in your favour, other times it doesn't. The clients that don't come back initially will usually have really enjoyed their treatments. They may not be in a position to carry on but they may tell someone else about you and you will often be surprised by the number that contact you again sometimes months or even years later.
Helen Dicks
Angela Rawlins
Jan 19 2007 11:55AM
As you say - if you do nothing - nothing can happen. I agree with you that th DM will probably get a different sort of client. Wait and see.

Good idea to canvass you existing clients - I'll get on to that

Angela
Joyce Laurie
Feb 10 2007 10:21PM
Would just like to say I had one response from NOTW of which a mother and daughter came. Both myself and reception staff felt they both appeared cagey and uneasy despite warm welcomes from all. Our place is kinda "posh" in decor though and we offer tea/coffee etc in a living room type waiting area, so don't know if it was that. Despite having treatments that lasted longer than they were asked to pay for, neither made further appointments.

I have, surprisingly (for Scotland) had FIVE, yes FIVE!! people booking fron The Telegraph advert, and, so far every three have made another appointment, so amf v.v. pleased.

Guess it's just horses for courses!
Angela Rawlins
Feb 12 2007 8:52PM
Well, so far one lady from The DT. Mind you it seems my telephone number isn't listed on the web site!

Interestingly, my husband wasn't that impressed with the advert, said it looked more like beauty therapy. Hopefully there may be a few more calls in the coming weeks.
Caroline Williams
Feb 15 2007 1:00PM
I wasn't sure when the promotions were running and was shocked to look them up last week and realise I had been unaware they were running even though I was signed up for them. No phone calls :-(
Jo Hammond
Feb 15 2007 1:33PM
I guess I'm just lucky then as my 'phone has been ringing off the hook - from almost the first day of the promotion. This happened last year too and resulted in 17 new appointments. So far this year I have 13 but I suppose it could be because I am the only therapist listed in my town! Strangely, I haven't had anyone call yet that I saw last year.

I have one client that started with the offer in 2006 that I still see and some did come back once or twice after the vouchers ran out but apart from that, no long lasting benefits.

Good luck to everyone during this promotion!

Jo x
John Dent
Feb 15 2007 1:41PM
Hi,
So glad that many members are getting a good number of calls (we get phone calls too!).
In any promotion especially the mass media types there are many factors about who gets a response (where you live, how many others in the area, how many subscribers to the paper in yur area etc.)

As said previously we will do a full reveiew when these promotions finish.
The DT this year is over shorter period than last year but it is the agreed period: last year it was extended over the agreed weeks because DT wanted to extend for it own reasons.

John Dent
Caroline Williams
Feb 15 2007 1:42PM
Are either of the promotions still on? Glad to hear some people have had success!
John Dent
Feb 15 2007 1:53PM
The NOW was in the paper just on day
DT is now no longer in the paper but vouchers can still be used up to March.
John
Jo Hammond
Mar 4 2007 9:13PM
Hi all

Probably a question for John or someone connected with the Daily Telegraph offer!

I am collecting the vouchers with the tokens diligently as I did last year. So far I haven't actually heard from the Daily Telepgraph like I did in 2006 with a letter asking me to keep the tokens and return them in the envelope at the end of the promotion. Is something like this on its way to us? I haven't received a letter confirming my participation (too late now anyway!) or advising of the terms and conditions of the offer. I hope nothing has changed as I'm doing everything as per last time!!! Have I missed a mailing somewhere is one on its way?

Another question for you. As my Mum collected the tokens for me, I though we would go to someone else locally to experience a tretament as part of the 2 for 1 offer. Both my husband and I had an experience from hell on Saturday and I would like to know who I can discuss this with and also how to make a complaint. The person we saw I believe broke every code of conduct we have and I am concerned that even though they are in the next town to me, I don't want to be tarnished with the same brush as them. This is a serious issue and even though I would never name names here, we encountered someone there who has been scared into keep paying for treatments by this person.

Some advice please.....
Gillian Kenyon
May 18 2008 11:26AM
I have just received this from EMBODY - they are asking therapists to collect the vouchers and send them back. Why when we are not being paid anything for the vouchers- is it because all the other campaigns seem to have been so disasterous and EMBODY wishes to counter those claims ?.

I am however aghast that as this promotion is being run by Mosaic - and will be being paid for by Muller - why is it being taken as the second promotion for which EMBODY members have paid - It is not costing EMBODY anything - indeed, I would even ask, is this like the aborted ASDA promotion through Mosaic - are EMBODY being paid by Mosaic as well as being paid £20 by us members ?.

Second Embody Promotion begins tomorrow
You may not know this sender. Mark as safe | Mark as unsafe
Sent:18 May 2008 06:22:26
To: thehclub@hotmail.com

Dear Gillian The Müllerlight on pack promotion begins tomorrow, 2.5 million promotional packs will begin to hit the shelves tomorrow.

For terms and conditions see: www.embodyforyou.com/Promotions/MullerlightTermsAndConditions

To help us monitor the response to this promotion, please can you collect all vouchers you receive and send them in to us at the end of the promotion to the address below.

Good luck
Martyn Nixon
Marketing Manager
Embody Embody Promotions
PO Box 6955
Towcester
NN12 6WZ
Tel: 0870 005 2646 Fax: 0844 779 8898
Email : info@embodyforyou.com
Web : www.EmbodyForYou.com

A division of Education & Media Services Limited.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion