Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Nina Martin, Apr 22 2013 11:33AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Why don't clients read websites?

I wonder if anyone out there can answer the question. I have what I believe is a very simple, straight forward website, yes there's a lot of information on it, but it's broken down into easy chunks, and no one needs to read the whole thing. But why don't people read the basics - prices t's & c's etc., I know for my part if I'm on someone else's site and these things aren't readily available I move on. The biscuit was taken last week when a perspective client used the contact form from my site to ask IF I do PLR, what does it involve, how long is a session AND DO I CHARGE FOR THIS???? I don't just find it frustration, to be honest I find it a little rude too..
All helpful comments and suggestions gratefully received
Thank you
Nina

p.s. No I'm not putting my picture on the site.
Sue Hannaford
Apr 22 2013 2:27PM
It is possible that some people are using their mobile phones and it may not be easy to navigate or read - is your site mobile-friendly? What do your visitor stats say about how many visitors are using mobile devices? I have had similar experiences and it has usually been because they are using mobiles.

Also if you get more questions about a particular area or subject you could consider puttng those tabs higher up the menu?

Slightly weird that someone would think that you would work for free though! It takes all sorts!

Sue
Sue Hannaford
Apr 22 2013 2:28PM
Oh and didn't understand the reference to your picture?
Nina Martin
Apr 22 2013 3:07PM
Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply, to be honest I hadn't even thought about the mobile aspect.
and the photo thing is because I do not have a picture on my site - or anywhere else for that matter
and that's the one thing people always pick up on..

Thanks again
Nina
Kerry Oliver
Apr 22 2013 3:55PM
Hi Nina,

looking at the positives, at least they are finding you! I dont have a major problem with this on my site but I think if people go straight to the contact form that is Ok though it might be frustrating if you have spent a long time on putting all the answers on your website!

If I am thinking of having a treatment with someone I don't know I look at the website first but I also value the personal engagement with someone I might have a treatment from rather than the more impersonal website info (which isn't always up-to-date or accurate on all sites)

Interested to hear other views.

Mobile aspect definitely becoming more important too, Kerry
Nina Martin
Apr 22 2013 4:00PM
Thanks Kerry,

All good points. Out of date websites are another bone of contention, it just looks so tardy. I have
just been looking at a site for a presentation I was interesting in attending until I realised it was
on the 15th June 2009 !!!

N
Janice Hamilton
Apr 23 2013 2:56PM
This has happened to me and I engage them in conversation asking was there some particular reason they were looking for that treatment and usually I can offer them an alternative - so it can sometimes work in your favour. I can think of at least 3 clients who are now regulars who didn't come to me for anything I offered in the first instance but were willing to listen and take my recommendations.

Regards
Janice
Richard Lawton
May 21 2013 11:45AM
There are several possibilities!

As Susan said, some people may be using mobiles. Unless your site is using a responsive design it can be hard to use on a mobile. (Responsive design automatically adjusts the site layout. Visit my website http://www.bodymind-integration.co.uk/ and see what happens when you narrow your browser window.)

Nina too has a point. Some people do not maintain their websites, so people might just be checking that you are still in practice, that the details and prices are still correct and valid.

There's also a matter of communication style and etiquette, which also often involves double-checking details. If I see an ad from someone selling the superduper widget for £9.99, when I phone up I won't just say "Give me a superduper widget". I'll check: "Are you selling the superduper widget for £9.99?"

Also confidence. Some people may not trust themselves that they've read the details correctly and don't want to risk looking foolish and be told "XYZ? No, I don't do that."

Multiple contacts. I might be checking 10 people selling the superduper widget, so I'll drop them all a similar email checking availability, prices, etc. Someone sending you an email about PLR might be using a standard email that they've sent to 10 other therapists.

There's also a matter of being overwhelmed by content. The more services you offer, the more people have to wade through pages and pages to find the information they want. People are busy and they don't want to waste time. It's far less hassle just to ask.

Finally, yes, some people are lazy. That's their right.

Accept that people vary enormously. Not everyone thinks, feels and operates in the way you do. That may be frustrating at times, but it's what keeps life interesting!

Best

Richard
Nina Martin
May 21 2013 12:26PM
Hi Richard,
I have taken on-board all your points, Thank you. As I don't have a smart phone or a tablet I didn't realise that they operate differently, and I also accept that there may be too much info on the site, I am in the process of re building the thing from scratch so that it looks better and is more inviting, and isn't so overloaded, the present one was built by a web master who asked what I wanted and then did his own thing!

I also agree about people 'shopping around' etc, I was just very frustrated when I did the original post as I had had one client from overseas for whom I had to specially book a room in total 3 times, they were going to pay cash (I've learned my lesson) and they never showed, this was immediately followed by 2 other people that did exactly the same thing..
Life is a learning curve I suppose.

Thanks again
Nina

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion