Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Kim Hannath, May 12 2013 9:21PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Reflexology/Massage for pregnancy first trimester

I have a client who has had Reflexology with me for fertility for 3 months and I'm happy to say she has just informed me she's preganant. She still wants to have either Massage or Reflexology or a combination of both every 2-4 weeks through her pregnancy, I've been taught that it's a contra-indication in the first trimester, can anyone give me any advice please as I've done some research and there are so many benefits.

Thanks

Kim
Nicki Lee
May 12 2013 10:23PM
Hi,
I certainly agree with your research, and I bet you couldn't find any information on WHY massage might be contraindicated in first trimester. As far as I've ever been able to find out, the only reason to limit massage first trimester is simply to prevent potential problems for the therapist. The first trimester is when miscarriage is most likely due to the embryo not being viable, which happens for many reasons. Especially these days when people can confirm pregnancy so early they would be aware of this happening when in previous years they might not have even been sure. If a woman does miscarry she may think it was something she did and if she had just had a treatment the treatment would be suspected.
Although massage should be safe for normal healthy pregnant women there are adaptations to treatment that DO need to be considered and implemented, so you would need to make changes to some treatment plans.
I can't speak about reflexology as that's not my area.
Nicki

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments