Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Charlotte Marshall, Jun 6 2013 6:31PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

NARIC nightmare.. translating NZ WSMT qualifications

Hi there,

I am currently trying to register with the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea as a therapist and I am encountering some problems with my qualifications. After 2000 hours of study with the Wellington School of Massage Therapy in New Zealand and thousands of dollars spent on my education, I have been told my qualifications cannot be translated into UK standards as my school was a private institution and is not part of the national framework in NZ. It is hard to believe that my 4 years of training now mean nothing in the UK. I have UK insurance based on my NZ qualifications, I am registered with the CThA, and I am curretnly working as a therapist in a reputable clinic, I am now hoping to also begin work in a spa in Notting Hill which requires me to register with the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, who require me to get my qualifications translated by NARIC, and so you can see my dilemma. I am really disheartened that NARIC and the Borough of Kensington and Chelsea don't seem to recognise my level of training. How can this be and how can I prove my training? If anyone has any advice as to what I can do to get out of this pickle and get registered.... PLEASE HELP!!

Charlotte
Maria Varela
Jun 13 2013 9:39PM
The good news is Complementary Therapies are not regulated in the UK, which means you do not need to have a particular qualification, or even insurance to work

My advice is to find an insurance company who recognises your existing qualifications and work in a clinic who will take you on. Of course, you could also complement this with doing an intensive ITEC course but that would take the best part of a year.

Best of luck :)

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion