Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Kathryn Kemp, Dec 30 2013 8:54AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

On site treatment - good or bad?

Hi all

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.!

I've been invited by a local company to go onsite and give 20 minute back/neck and shoulder treatments to staff one day a week. Not something I've considered before so I would be very grateful for any feedback, good or bad, from people who have done it or are doing it... Also, what paperwork are you completing for your insurance, taster forms?

Many thanks
Kathy
Nicki Lee
Dec 30 2013 9:27AM
My experience of this has been excellent, both for my business and for the employees' benefit. It's amazing how much tension can be relieved in only 20 minutes, and you can get good remedial work done (if that's what you do) on neck and shoulders in that time. I find a massage chair is best, although I've also done a sort of modified Indian Head Massage with people just at their office desks.
I actually teach a workshop in Chair Massage, but the next is in Newbury in early Feb. and the timing/distance might not be helpful to you.
Working over clothing you can still deliver a very effective treatment. I wouldn't have people undress and use oil, even if you have an appropriate space to do so, because too much time will be taken up changing, and people may not want to feel that vulnerable at their place of work even in private. It is best to have a private space though, although not absolutely necessary (I've worked in the corner of lunch rooms, and even worked going 'desk to desk').
It's a great break for the employees - beats sugar, caffeine and/or nicotine for a real break - and in 20 minutes you can get a lot done.
If I'm visiting just once I either email a brief questionnaire for people to fill out ahead of time - just checking the basics of existing conditions, etc, or else have a sheet to look at and they each sign. Obviously I also follow up with questions. If I expect it to see the same people fairly regularly I will keep the same records as I do for any client, although with time constraints you could still email a questionnaire and use the back of it to keep your records.
Best of luck! It's a nice way to work, and I think always good to have a break from the table and work differently. Also very good for therapist working ergonomics - easy to keep your own back straight!
Nicki
Kathryn Kemp
Dec 30 2013 9:44AM
Thanks Nicki - I'm glad it has been a positive experience for you.

My main concern was around the paperwork. I had emailed the insurance company regarding what they require for me to be covered but they weren't very forthcoming. My questions to them were mainly 'do these qualify as taster sessions, if they are regular', 'what if people become "regulars" at the sessions'. I think I will stick with my usual consultation form and just email it in advance.

I have a meeting with the company so will discuss their expectations.

Many thanks
Kathy
Nicki Lee
Dec 30 2013 10:10AM
Yes, 20 minutes, especially repeated, would be more of a treatment than a taster, I think.
A few things to check with company: Are there 20 minute blocks of time during which you get the person in and out and get ready for the next person, or is it 20 minutes 'hands on'. (I would go for the former. This isn't something you need to discuss at length with them, but the basic question is is this 20 minutes appointment or 20 minutes treatment, if you see the difference?) It's easiest for the company if it's 20 minutes appointment, so 3 appointments an hour. If this is the case, make sure you book in some breaks for yourself, so maybe 5 or even 10 minutes every hour or so. You'll need it to run to the loo, also to catch up if you get behind (as it's always hard to get some people out the door). If this is the case, does the company just pay for the appointments (so you are there for 4 hours, but you have 10 appointments, so do they pay for 4 hours or 200 minutes?) Again, this can work out however you negotiate, but be very clear in your head and make sure the company knows what is being agreed. It sounds fussy, but it's worse if it's not explicit and then down the line there are questions or disappointed expectations.
Also be clear where your boundaries are. Even if the company is paying, rather than the employee, what the employees tell you about their stress or physical condition is private. This should be stressed to the employees so they are forthcoming with you about their medical conditions. (For instance they may not want the company to know if they are pregnant, or undergoing treatment.)
Also who books the appointments, you or the company? How is it dealt with if someone misses an appointment, do you still charge? (The answer is yes, if the company is paying! You are still there giving your time. It's trickier if the employee is paying, I always felt I couldn't charge them if they had an important call or their boss needed them, as it is a work environment.)
That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
Kathryn Kemp
Dec 30 2013 10:40AM
Many thanks...

It's their employee forum inviting me in as opposed to the company who have given their consent, so, it will be the employees paying. It will be a 20 min session as opposed to 20 min treatment (to give a few mins to adjust chair, check form, etc). I will schedule breaks for myself and have advised them of this. I will go over everything again at the meeting. I will also set a limit ie the number of treatments I will go in for as I have to travel across town. I had planned to leave a timetable so they can put their names on it which I will pick up and replace when I arrive. I do have a contact person if needed. Not sure if people just don't turn up for their slot - don't see there is anything I can do - other than mention it as someone else may have missed out - also, if they are late for their slot.?! Things to go over at the meeting.

Kind regards
Kathy
Nicki Lee
Dec 30 2013 11:09AM
It sounds like you're sorted out! One thing you may like to do is arrange appointments by text and email, and then send a reminder on the day. People forget and also get busy at work. I found doing the appointments in advance extremely helpful, and when I arrived posted on the door any appointments that were still available for last minute sign ups.
Also, if you start collecting emails, you can email the day before occasionally advertising the available slots.
Good luck! Sounds like it will work out very well for you.
Nicki
Amanda Clegg
Dec 30 2013 11:49AM
Helps if they can pay in advance when booking - either online or maybe their receptionist would help - usually find that people turn up to things they've paid for, and if they don't, they you aren't out of pocket.

I highly recommend Nicki's course, btw.
Kathryn Kemp
Dec 30 2013 12:01PM
Thanks Amanda, good idea... ;-)
Casey Stewart-Smith
Jan 9 2014 11:43AM
This is great Info x Thank you all for sharing x
Hannah Johnson
Jan 14 2014 1:23PM
Hi,

I am thinking of doing something similar and wondered if anyone would mind telling me how much they charge for a 20 minute treatment?

Many thanks,
Hannah

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion