Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Casey Stewart-Smith, Jan 30 2014 12:37PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Pre made Aromatherapy oils

Hi all,

A client of mine recently came to my setting with her own pre blended oil (shop brought) it was lovely to use. I have been wondering for a while if I can offer premade blends to my clients? I have a friend who is an aromatherapist who is willing to make up some oils for me or I could buy ready made brands. I know as I'm not a qualified aromatherpist that I cannot blend myself, any advice would be highly arreciated

Many thanks

Casey
Nicki Lee
Jan 30 2014 12:51PM
This is my understanding, although you may want to double check your insurance:
First, see if your qualification covers using pre-blends. For example, some VTCT courses used to (my IIHHT Sports Therapy course did) but I'm not sure about ITEC. Generally if it's part of your qualification you'd be insured.

If so, you would be able to use purchased pre-blends. Generally from a shop, or if a client brought to you, either from a shop or an aromatherapist who made them up for that particular client.

I'm not an aromatherapist, so someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their insurance generally covers them for making up blends for their clients, for whom they would have done a case history. If this is the case, your friend may not be insured to make up pre-blends for your clients.

If your qualification did not cover pre-blends you are not insured to use them at all. Whether you can use lotions, etc., that have some lavender or something probably would not qualify as a pre-blend, but possibly massage oils that are specifically sold as pre-blends would not be covered.

I hope this helps and doesn't seem even more confusing!

Best of luck.
Casey Stewart-Smith
Jan 30 2014 1:03PM
Thanks Nicki, that's really helpful. I have an ITEC cert so pretty sure I'm not covered but will look into it to clarify.

If my future cilents bring their own oils I guess it would be good practice for me to get them to sign a disclaimer stating that they have brought there own oil for use and have no allergies etc to it, basically indemify me against its use should they have any adverse reactions.

I'm really grateful for your quick reply

Many thanks

Casey x

Jane Hopwood
Jan 30 2014 4:52PM
Hi my qualification is ITEC and I am wondering the same. I have read an holistic magazine article which says I can use shop bought pre-blended after informing clients what they contain. I wonder if CThA could give us some clarification on this and whether it matters what massage qualification you have. Jane
Angela Rawlins
Jan 30 2014 5:02PM
Hi, I'm not trained in massage but have friends. I remember one saying she was covered for the oils that they used in training and could use safe blended oils as they were the recommended for general use, this of course may be of no help!
Nicki Lee
Jan 30 2014 5:09PM
I personally am cautious, and only use oils clients have brought in. There may be contra indications to some oils (although in pre-blends I don't know if they are in concentrations that matter), but it's more that anyone could get an irritation of some sort, so I just steer clear.
Janice Hamilton
Jan 30 2014 5:10PM
Dear Casey please read the following, sorry it is so long but is very relevant to your previous postings. I, personally, feel that unless you have a basic knowledge of essential oils and their therapeutic properties and precautions, don't think it's wise to be using essential oils in your treatments at all. I have never used pre-blends as I'm qualified to blend my own - but my experience with using even tiny amounts of essential oils is that they have very powerful effects - I would be interested to hear from aromatherapists who work with pre-blended oils as to what their experience is and their thoughts. Also I'd like to know why therapists use pre-blended oils; is it because they smell nice? - do they have therapeutic properties? If so would it also follow that they have precautions, therefore, you should have a basic knowledge of aromatherapy - perhaps my thinking is outdated and I'd appreciate hearing from others.

New EU &osmetics 5egulation.
From July 2013 a new EU regulation 1223/2009 replaces the previous Cosmetics
Directive in order to protect consumers' health by monitoring the labelling and
composition of cosmetic products.

The regulation will place responsibilities on the manufacturers and suppliers of
cosmetic products which are available commercially. The regulation will monitor
different areas of the manufacturing process including labelling, the use of restricted
substances, safety testing and reports, notifying relevant authorities and traceability.
Many products are likely to be affected including, but not limited to; spray tanning
solution, skincare products and aromatherapy oils.

This regulation will not stop you from blending your own aromatherapy oils for
professional treatments. It will only affect you if you are selling the oils you have
blended or when giving oils left over from the treatment to the client to use at home
as you would then become the supplier. The new regulation would prevent you from
doing this.

If you currently make and supply your own cosmetic products, you must be able to
adhere to the regulation. This would involve you, as the person responsible for your
cosmetic product, acquiring a valid and approved toxicology assessment for your
products if you want to sell them anywhere within the EU, as well as labelling the
products appropriately.

For the products cover under your combined Medical Malpractice, Public and
Products Liability policy to be effective, the products that you sell and use in the
course of your professional treatments must be purchased by you from a reputable
supplier who is fully compliant with the new UK/EU regulations, even if the supplier is
based outside of the UK/EU. You must ensure that in all cases, you have a right of
recourse against any supplier for the purchase of products. Cover under your Guild
Insurance Policy is also subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of
the policy.

Check with your supplier if you are unsure as to whether they are fully complying
with the new regulations.

For more information, please visit the following link -
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/product_labelling_and_packaging
/co0013_en.htm.

Regards
Janice
Angela Rawlins
Jan 30 2014 5:18PM
Have you heard of Tui Balms and massage wax? Song Bird Naturals. They are really good, made with bees wax from New Zealand and do have a little oils in. I use one for Reflexology as I do not need to apply much. I have been using them for years now. The gentleman who owns the company is Andy Harrodsburg and I'm sure he'd be only too pleased to talk to you.
Angela Rawlins
Jan 30 2014 5:19PM
Sorry, Andy Harod
Casey Stewart-Smith
Jan 30 2014 6:11PM
Jane, I have contacted CTHA directly and am awaiting a reply.

Angela, Thank you I will have a look at the waxes

Janice, Many thanks for the info, Its good to see the legislation, makes things clear, I understand completely the reasoning behind it and created this post mainly for clarification as my cilents safety is paramount.

I also think I benefitted greatly from performing the massage using the oils (that my cilent had supplied) I felt great afterwards and kinda missed it when performing the next :-). I may consider Aromatherapy training in the future to compliment my business.

When I hear back from CTHA I'll post their response for claification.

Many thanks to all for your help xxx
Amanda Clegg
Jan 30 2014 6:36PM
Useful discussion, folks - came in too late to comment but I think it's all been summed up well. Time to do an aromatherapy course, Casey? :)
Jane Hopwood
Jan 30 2014 7:55PM
Hi Casey - will be good to see what ITEC say.
Sue Hannaford
Jan 31 2014 9:53AM
The best people to ask are your insurer - in my case Holistic Insurance. My understanding is that you can use pre-blended oils IF you have had official, certificated training from the people who make the oils. If that is the case then you are insured to USE. The training cannot be correspondence course training.
As far giving to clients, I don't know. I am not an aromatherapist - in my experience, well-qualified aromatherapists have to learn a lot about the properties of the oils they are using - both for best therapeutic effect and to be fully aware of contraindications - some of which could be serious.

I know that there are various great massage waxes out there, Tui, Grace etc with essential oils in them - I release that the amounts are very low - but as I am not trained to use them, I don't. I will only use what I am insured to use, which I feel is a good guide.

Plain massage wax is great BTW!
Casey Stewart-Smith
Feb 3 2014 7:12PM
FYI this is the reply I recieved from Holistic Insurance, clarification. Thank you for such a good response to this subject, lovely to be part of such a great forum x
------------------------------------------

Dear Casey

The CTHA have forwarded your enquiry to us.

The policy will not provide cover for you to use pre-blended oils on your clients unless you have received training in the use of the oils and are fully aware of the contraindications.

If a client brings an oil with them and asks you to use the oil on them, the client will need to sign a disclaimer which states that they understand that you have received no training in the use of the oil, and that using the oil in the massage session is entirely at their own risk.

Best wishes

Rose Pickett
Yvette Powell
Feb 15 2014 3:26PM
great discussion and interesting reading. One of the considerations not mentioned is what are the oils going to do to you as a therapist. If you are using a wax, oil or lotion, the essential oils will be internalised, so consider your duty of care to yourself too.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion