Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Hopwood, Apr 19 2014 6:39PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Teaching simple massage techniques - i have been asked to do a class showing client's back massage

Hi, I have been asked by several clients now, if I would teach them how to do a simple back massage to their family at home. They are not expecting a certificate as they only want to use on close family and will still come to me for their massage. Can I do a class? Do I have to be insured to be a teacher - here again, I am not teaching them to be professional. I understand that I would have to do some sort of disclaimer that they use the techniques without any claim back to me. Any thoughts. Kind regards as always. jane
Nicki Lee
Apr 19 2014 7:50PM
Check with your insurance; CThA generally covers teaching, but tell them it's a 'leisure' course.

Be careful of anything you include in handouts, and make sure you put plenty of information about contra-indications. Remember they aren't therapists so it's best to be over-cautious and say if anyone is under a doctor for any condition to check before treatments, and I would put this in writing in a hand out to them.

I would suggest teaching 4 or 5 different effleurage movements and a little thumb petrisage up the spine and around the medial scapula. Possibly also over the sacrum. I also suggest only effleurage on or near the neck.

This is obviously very restricted, but if you are doing a one-off rather than a series of lessons it's better to be over-cautious than otherwise. Light massage is rarely going to hurt anyone, but you need to cover yourself.

Adding in some head massage is always nice, too!

Have fun!
Jane Hopwood
Apr 20 2014 7:17AM
Hi Nikki Thanks for advice. What do you charge when you teach? Lets say to a group of 5. Maybe a couple of hours with handouts. Kind regards Jane
Nicki Lee
Apr 20 2014 8:46AM
Jane, it's hard to say on charging, that's definitely the tricky bit! It would depend on how long it is, whether it's one lesson or a series. For a series charge less per hour. Otherwise, a minimum might be your hourly rate plus expenses divided by minimum number of people you are willing to proceed with. Also, keep in mind that people that say they are interested sometimes don't follow through and sign up!

Jane Hopwood
Apr 21 2014 4:53PM
That is true. Thanks.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion