Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Jane Hopwood, Apr 24 2014 5:59PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Selling health supplements alongside massage and reflexology clinic

Hi, I am trying to expand my business in the retail section and have been approached to sell health supplements. I have been contacted by Nikken and Nature's Sunshine along with others. Does anyone have any experience of these companies? And any advice? I am under the impression that I do not need to keep products in stock but can order at discounted price. Kind regards Jane
Amanda Clegg
Jun 23 2014 9:43PM
HI Jane

I was contacted by a wholesaler not so long ago, but balked at the fact that they did not seem to mind that I have absolutely no nutrition experience or qualifications at all. This worries me: I am not able to officially advise my clients (although I do know quite a lot) as I would not be covered by insurance. I think it is best to stick to what you are qualified to advise on. I sell a few essential oils for home use, and occasionally some blends for home massage or bathing, plus a range of proprietary skincare that, should there be any problems with allergies etc. would be covered by the supplier. I'm not sure that would be the case with supplements.
Una Tucker
Aug 8 2014 1:02PM
Hi Jane/Hi Amanda

I found this post really interesting because it is particular to my massage tool business. I am therapist who has designed a very effective body massage tool - The Kneader - that therapists can use as a supplemental tool (it saves strain on hands during deep and/or repetitive movements) but, more importantly, their clients can use it at home, in-between treatments, to maintain the good work the therapist has done for them.

I have always wanted therapists to sell the Kneader in their private practices because it is a match made in heaven - they use it in their treatments and, in doing so, they are introducing the product to their clients (also, who better to advise on how and where to use the Kneader but their own massage therapist?). However, therapists always seem a bit shy of selling products in their practices. I sell the Kneader to lots of therapists when I attend a tradeshow (they see it being used and really get it) but they just don't want to make the leap to selling it to their clients. Why is this? Amanda's point about sticking to what you know is a valid one but surely therapists can cater specifically to more massage-related products. Is it that therapists don't want to multi-task as salespeople (i.e. they don't feel comfortable in the role), or put pressure on clients to spend mor emoney, or is it the concern that the products or the business end of the practice will somehow lessen the holistic/caring element of the massage therapy? Most therapists (at least the ones I know) are always looking to increase their income, surely selling products is an easy and lucrative way to do so?

I appreciate that there are many levels to this question and possible answers (I may have to do a thread on this alone!) but your thoughts on this would be most welcome. Una, Kneads Must www.kneadsmust.com

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion