Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Mariette Lobo, Feb 23 2007 8:36AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

The Good Life

You might like to read this extremely informative e-newsletter which you can subscribe to FREE! (see links at the end). Here are some extracts:

The Good Life Letter
23rd February 2007

Dear Mariette,

Forgive the tabloid newspaper-style of today’s subject line…

But it looks like the mainstream media are coming round to the alternative way of thinking. Ideas that were usually the preserve of newsletters like this one are now creeping onto prime time television.

If you’ve been watching the BBC series ‘The Truth About Food’, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

The series covered all aspects of health, from weight loss to aphrodisiacs, with plenty of special tests conducted.

And you know what? Most of the conclusions they came to fitted what you and I have been thinking about for the past few years. With no advertisers or big business pressure, the Beeb have pulled off a brilliant feat: something close to “the truth”!

(If the mainstream media keeps going at this rate, I won’t have anything left to talk about. It will all be on the telly!)

So I can’t believe I am going to do this… But today’s letter will reveal some of the most interesting results of BBC television’s tests.

Dairy products can help you absorb LESS fat!

Many people think that cheese is the enemy of the modern dieter. And yet a Danish study has shown that the more calcium in your diet, the less body fat you will have….

This is because you excrete more fat when you eat dairy.

To test why this, the programme put two groups on diets on a calcium-high diet in week one, then a low calcium diet in week two. Both diets had the same calorific and fat content.

On the high dairy calcium diet, TWICE the percentage of fat eaten by the subjects came out in their stools to when they were on the low calcium diet.

So, when you eat dairy products, not all their calories count. Great news for cheese lovers like yours truly!

Why bacon and eggs are the best breakfast!

I love the fact that Atkins has been vilified for many years for his low carb diet, and yet so many studies support his claims.

Sure, his diet is a bit extreme, and some of his theories are a bit dodgy, but a lot of what he said was true and revolutionary.

For instance, many people think that the best way to fill their stomachs is by eating carbs. But research shows that eight out of nine subjects eat less after a protein-rich meal than after a low-protein one.

The BBC team tested this by giving three people three different pasta meals - one high in fat, one high in protein and one high in carbohydrates. Then they detained them to make sure they couldn’t be tempted by a snack.

Four hours later they let them eat. The subject who ate the smallest amount during lunch was the one who had had the protein-rich meal.

The programme concluded that a breakfast of grilled bacon and scrambled eggs would be an ideal breakfast for a dieter.

Pretty much what Atkins suggested all along.

Previously Recommended

Can water help fill you up before eating?

The Beeb also busted the myth that if you drink a glass of water before you eat you will feel fuller for longer.

They took two teams on a road trip through the Nevada desert to see which group got hungriest first. Both teams were given a chicken and vegetables with a glass of water. The only difference was that one team drank the water before they ate, and the other had the water blended with the meal to make a soup.

The group who ate the chicken and vegetable soup were satisfied for an extra hour compared to the group who drank the water first.

The reason is that water will pass right through you. But when you combine your food with water - soup, for instance - the water and the nutrients stay together. Because of the increased volume, the food stays in your stomach for longer.

It also delays the emptying of your stomach, which means you feel fuller for longer.

Why a glass of red plonk is good for you

The programme talked about the ‘French paradox’, which is something I’ve mentioned before in connection with The Montignac Diet (see http://www.goodlifeletter.co.uk/news/12-the-time-lord-speaks-out-about-chocolate.asp )

The French eat lots of fatty foods but have low rates of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). Could this be because they drink 5 times the amount of red wine that we do in the UK?

Studies suggest that compounds in red wine play can help stop your arteries hardening. The alcohol and “polyphenolic compounds” in red wine can keep your blood vessels health. And may even protect against cancer.

Why you should never detox

Detox diets are a fad I’ve never liked much. I think that you need to have balance in your diet, and cutting out a whole bunch of vital food groups for a few weeks is not really what The Good Life letter is about.

‘The Truth About Food’ agreed that they were a pointless idea.

They put a strict detox diet to the test. One group were put on a balanced diet, including red meat, alcohol, coffee and tea, pasta, bread, chocolate and crisps.

The others were fed only fruit juices.

After testing the kidney and liver functions, and measuring the antioxidant and aluminium levels in their blood, they found there were no differences between the two groups.

The researched concluded: “Your body has its own way of regulating toxins and a week of suffering won’t change that so you are better off sticking to a balanced diet all the time.”

Could this be the start of a food revolution?

Red wine healthy?

Cheese good for weight loss?

High protein breakfasts better for dieting?

The series of the Truth About Food has ended. But could this be the beginning of a MAINSTREAM nutritional movement that, at last, recognises some of the ideas of the alternative health movement?

Let’s hope so.

Yours, as ever,

Ray Collins
The Good Life Letter

PS: If you want to find out more about the results of the tests on The Truth About Food, go to the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Always consult your doctor before trying any medication, Ray Collins is not a doctor or medical expert and the content of the Good Life Letter should not be viewed as health- care diagnosis, treatment regimen or any other prescribed health- care instruction. It is provided as general information only and no actions should be taken based solely on the contents of this letter.
The author's opinions are believed to be accurate and sound at the time of publication, based on the best judgment available to him.
Readers who fail to consult with appropriate health authorities assume the risk of any injuries. The publisher is not responsible for errors or omissions.
©Copyright The Good Life Letter 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you no longer wish to receive The Good Life Letter just click here to
stop your subscription:

CONTACT ME

If you have any feedback you can contact me by clicking on the following link: Ray@Goodlifeletter.co.uk

Please do not reply to this email as it is part of an automated system
and won't reach me.
Angela Rawlins
Mar 26 2007 3:47PM
Whoopeee - prpoer food!! Yeah. I knew it was rubbish to try all thses faddy diets!

Angela

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion