Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Nov 27 2014 6:15AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Beauty Therapist versus Massage Therapist

I want to become a therapist but don't know which route to go down? I have recently applied to do a fast track itec beauty therapist level 3 will this allow me to register with CThA and cnhc? I want to go on to study deep tissue massage, seated massage and Rekei later. The beauty course does include, basic massage, Indian head massage, hot stones and pre blended arromotherapy? I am more interested in the use of alternative therapy treatments for health but I thought the beauty would give me more strings to my bow and allow me easier access to the industry? Please help I have 10 days were I can cancel and change my course without cost?

Thank you.
Dawn Spragg
Dec 11 2014 1:20PM
Hi as and ITEC qualified tutor my comments are :

what do you want to do beauty or therapy or both? How do you picture yourself in 5 years time?

Don't do fast track courses, book a full college course with all the support that goes with it ITEC level 3 or 4 take your time
short time in, quick out is my moto .

You will see on my web site WWW,healinghandsaromatherapy,co,uk I provide both but it has taken me years to gain my knowledge and experience, there are no short cuts.

This is my experience over 20 years as a therapist.

good luck what ever you choose to do, and welcome to the best and most rewarding profession you could choose.
Amanda Clegg
Jan 29 2015 12:06AM
totally agree with Dawn. Think about what you want to do. Most basic courses at colleges give you only the very basic knowledge - you will need to go on to further study whatever you choose (my local salon manager was saying the other day that all the 'graduates' from ITEC/VTCT etc arrive at interviews and find that their knowledge is already out of date as the industry moves faster than the training. Do the BEST course you can find and don't fastrack, especially with the practical side of massage as your body needs to learn how - like typing or playing an instrument, it relies on muscle-memory. Check out Jing in Brighton and look at their clinical massage syllabus. good luck!

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public