Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Helen Rae Coleman, Jan 27 2015 9:12PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

massaging at festivals

I'm interested in doing massage at festivals this summer, holistic, deep tissue, pregnancy and Indian head treatments, just wondering if anyone has done this and has any advice? How much should i expect to pay for a pitch? I'm thinking just small, family friendly festivals so I can bring the family. Also what kind of structure would work best? I have been offered a tipi but I think it's quite big, maybe a gazebo would be simpler?
Kristel Horwood
Jan 27 2015 9:24PM
Seated massage works well - however people do like privacy so a small gazebo sounds good
have a signing up sheet so people can come back at a particular time
make sure you put some breaks in for yourself
good luck !
Yvonne Young
Feb 15 2015 4:39PM
Hi Kristel

I did this for many years, and totally loved it. The festival experience is worth exploring! I offered taster sessions of 10 to 15 mins duration, at a set price, but also offered full treatments. It worked really well. A private gazebo is advisable for the full body treatments, but chair massages, Indian head Massage and Reiki can be carried out in the open. Make sure you have plenty of water, for hand washing. A pitch can be expensive, depending on the festival, but if you can share the cost with another therapist, that can work well, and there is plenty of work to go around. You will be very busy, and will need to ensure that you have breaks.

Go for it and enjoy!

Yvonne
Sue Hulbert
Feb 17 2015 2:53PM
Hi Helen

I've been working at Festivals & Outside Events since 2005 and LOVE the work & atmosphere, even in the rain!
I also set up, co-ordinate & manage Healing Areas at events around the country

• Depending on the event, you can be the sole therapist, one of many or even one of three or four
• Make sure the gazebo you have can withstand all weathers, some places no longer allow the cheaper 'flimsier' type
• Make sure your structure is both water & fire-proof
• A tipi would stand out at many events, although many peeps have different structures these days
• With regard to Pitch price - expect to pay upwards of £90.00 although you can pay less at some events e.g. those where a percentage is taken rather than a 'Fixed Pitch' amount
• Some pitches go on the footage/metre-age of the structure, others are more lenient
• At some events you will be expected to pay for family, whilst at others, a reduced or free ticket

• Oh, and there's always plenty of paperwork before you go!

Have fun, please don't hesitate to contact me if you think I can be of help

Sue
CThA C20071
Una Tucker
May 18 2015 3:31PM
This is both a great and timely thread because I am really keen to do some on-site massaging at festivals this year and I really need to get my skates on if I am to do so at any of them!

Are there any top 'massage-friendly' festivals that anyone could recommend? Very interested in those in London or the surrounding counties.

Many thanks!

Una
Kneads Must

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion