Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by John Parham , Mar 20 2007 5:06PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

REFLEXOLOGY FOR BRAIN-DAMAGED/SPECIAL NEEDS YOUNG PEOPLE

I would like to share knowledge and practices with others out there in working with these groups. Most of the recipients are quite severely affected from birth. Little usual communication possible.
Karen Panter
Mar 23 2007 9:35PM
Hi John

Have you used any other complementary therapies with these young people? I'm studying massage at the moment but work with young people with special needs and would like to take the massage into the workplace when I qualify so any experience welcome.

Karen
Sarah Michaelides
Jul 19 2007 1:51PM
Hello, My name is Sarah.

I have just completed a course in instructing Infant and Baby massage and am very keen to work within special needs once I qualify in about 2 months time. There is an element of reflexology within the massage routine which is fantastic because sometimes the babies/infants will only let you get as far as their feet. Massage for special needs children is a fantastic way of nurturing and comforting them as well as aiding their development, physical strength, confidence and relationship with their parents/carers.

I think work in this area is essential and I am open to suggestions as to who to approach.
Karen Panter
Jul 19 2007 9:30PM
Hi Sarah

it's good to know you want to get involved! Why don't you try approaching your local special needs schools. i work in one and we are looking into ways to introduce some comp. therpaies at the moment. Or some local support groups may also be interested. Feedback as to the response you get would be good.

Good luck

Karen
Sally-Jayne Claus
Aug 8 2007 12:14PM
I currently do a lot of work with adults with learning difficulties (of varying severity). We find that they absolutely love hand and foot massage using aromatherapy oils. I am also signed up for a reflexology course next month because I see the positive response we get from the massage, so yes, I think it's a really good thing.

Good luck! Sally
Zoe Hubbard
Nov 5 2007 12:15AM
I am working with people with Learning disabilities in residential care and do this nearly exclusively. I have over 12 years care experience with this group and trained to work with people with disabilities. I worked as a Manager for many years and noticed, over that time, how care was becoming "hands off" - something well documented by nurses also. (Response to Protection of Vulnerable Adults legislation)All legislation which protects the vulnerable is fantastic however it is my opinion that there is a basic human need for touch which needs to be provided from an appropriate source. Hence the massage training. Its great to see Complementary therapy mentioned in the National Minimum standards. I am having fantastic results and I am combining my knowledge supporting staff to communicate massage with people with limited skills using signs and symbols. It would be great to share with others as whilst I have 12 years care/management experience I dont have that many years experience in massage with this group. Hope the thread gets checked as I have only just seen it. If anyone wnats to get in touch please do - it would be really helpful.
Zoe
Sally-Jayne Claus
Nov 5 2007 3:20PM
Hi Zoe,

Really good to see your response.

I get most of my work for care homes through a lady much like yourself. She also worked within care for 17 years or so and also became frustrated with the "hands off" approach and trained as an aromatherapist because of this. Once qualified, she became inundated with interest from the care industry and now places other therapists (massage/ aromatherapy/ reflexology) within care homes around the country as well as working "hands on" herself.

All therapists placed are fully insured and she carries out an enhanced CRB for them (if she feels they are right to work in this field). If this is something that interests you/ others, please let me know and I will let you know her website/ contact details.

Regards, Sally
Zoe Hubbard
Nov 7 2007 12:18PM
Thanks for getting in touch. I would love further info. particularly as I would like to do some more training around LD and massage. I am sure this is the best place to start as I am struggling to find anything specific. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am just completing some promotional information as all my work at the moment has been word of mouth (great for my pocket!!!) Now I would really like to move forward and training for me is central. Any ideas very welcome and thanks again,
Zoe
Zoe Hubbard
Nov 7 2007 12:18PM
Thanks for getting in touch. I would love further info. particularly as I would like to do some more training around LD and massage. I am sure this is the best place to start as I am struggling to find anything specific. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am just completing some promotional information as all my work at the moment has been word of mouth (great for my pocket!!!) Now I would really like to move forward and training for me is central. Any ideas very welcome and thanks again,
Zoe

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments