Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Angela Rawlins, Mar 26 2007 3:57PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Telephone Calls

Whilst we on the subject of telephone calls - I got one marked 'International' Thursday or Friday evening trying to flog me personal accident insurance!! They wouldn't divulge where they got my telephone number - well - I have a cure for these - say 'hold on while I get them' then leave the phone off the hook for 10 mins!
Samantha Weekes
Mar 27 2007 11:12AM
Hi Angela,

I love your solution to these people, must try it next time they call :)

Samantha
Angela Rawlins
Mar 28 2007 7:55PM
Hi Samantha

If you register with the telephone preference service you are not supposed to get these phone calls, however, doesn't stop the international ones. This bugs me, because if my husband is away, I have to answer it.

I, at one time was getting three or four canvassing telephone calls A DAY!! I got really hackled off, you had to answer them because it could be a client or prospective one. SO, husband suggested 1. Leave phone and fetch yourself - ha, ha or 2. String them along and get the company name and contact so that you can report them to the TPS.

Well, hopefully it wastes their time and money.

Good luck!
Samantha Weekes
Mar 29 2007 7:07PM
Hi Angela,

I was taking to a friend of mine today (she's not a therapist) fed up with the banks and others calling upteen times a day, she tells the caller "Mrs so and so is out - I'm a burglar!"

That should fox them.

I know these people are only doing their jobs, but after a hard day at work the last thing you need is someone trying to give you the hard sell.

I still think your idea of leaving them hanging is great.

Best wishes

Samantha
Angela Rawlins
Mar 29 2007 8:22PM
Hi Samantha

I'd advise your friend not to do that, she might find the police coming round! If you and your friend register with the TPS as per previous emails it does reduce the calls considerably. Put it in to google to get the web site.

Angela
Trisha Gabriel
Apr 11 2007 1:36PM
HI, I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL TODAY, A VERY PERSISENT SALESMAN WHO GOT MY DETAILS FROM 'EMBODY',ASKING IN THE FIRST INSTANCE IF I COULD TAKE NEW CLIENTS, TRYING TO GET ME TO PURCHASE A WEBSITE, AND GUARANTEEING A CERTAIN NUMBER OF NEW CLIENTS A MONTH, FOR AN UPFRONT FEE AND MONTHLY PAYMENTS. VERY CONVINCING BUT I COULDN'T GET A WORD IN, I TWICE SAID I CANNOT GO AHEAD WITH THIS, IN THE END HE SAID GOODBYE AND PUT THE PHONE DOWN....HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN AT THE RECEIVING END OF THESE CALLS?
Angela Rawlins
Apr 11 2007 7:11PM
Hi Everyone

See your magazine page 27!

I have been caught on this one to the tune of £88 per quarter, for two years! Mislead.

I have today been in to the surgery concerned to 'enlighten' them. They were completely unawares of how much people paid, infact they were not happy about the whole thing, and shocked at how much I was mislead to pay. I thought it would work out at £200 per year.

It seems the company concerned is touting for new, yes new advertisers to fill the 'new' practise magazine, which I am told is to be printed, I think in July. This means, I will not be getting any advertising for two quarters!!! This company took my money for the first quarter even though the magazine had not been printed - so all in all -RIPPED OFF!

Anyone who has been roped in, needs to check their contract for any discrepancies on their part to terminate it on breach of contract. Also, enlighten the surgery and any friends/collegues who also may have been mislead.
Carolyn Scott
Apr 11 2007 9:05PM
Hi Trish
I got one today on my mobile exactly the same thing. He asked if I had had a phone call from one of his colleages from Embody?( what is that all about?). Then didn't shut up for the whole time he was on my phone claiming it would only be £29 a month but then later saying there would be a set up fee of £119 to design a website. I then walked into a poor reception area and got cut off. He then rang my home number and spoke to my husband claiming that I had hung up? not good sales talk if your trying to get customers! If having my details on Embody website is going to cause this hassle then I feel maybe I dont want them on there?
Carolyn
Trisha Gabriel
Apr 12 2007 9:30AM
Hi Carolyn,
That does sound similar, he asked me if I had rec a call from one of his colleagues, the set up fee was nearly 200 and the monthly payments 29.95. I actually said the whole point of having the Embody page was to get clients. He was from a large internet 'directory'. He said his whole time was taken up searching directories etc for therapists. I guess he was targeting those who do not have a website. I went onto the directory and looked on one persons website and it was just a basic page, not impressive. Made me think I wasn't missing out at all. I think when they are talking to you it is easy to think you would do better if you paid out. Lucky escape!! I do get quite a lot of ad calls,although I have signed up to the tel preference service.I think they scout through local directories as well. Best wishes Trish.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion