Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Samantha Weekes, May 12 2016 8:37AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Chaperone for Massage

Hi All,

I've been giving massage x3 weekly to a stroke patient, I believe as a vulnerable adult he should have a chaperone. The family are finding is hard to attend the sessions and care home cannot spare their staff to supervise. Should I continue without chaperone?
Angela Rawlins
May 12 2016 9:28AM
Could you get a chaperone? In normal circumstances, he might be consulting you in your clinic so it would be you who needed the chaperone I cases of treating male patients. What about Sking the care home staff to pop into his room occasionally to check everything's ok at time you would be unaware of?
Samantha Weekes
May 12 2016 9:35AM
Hello Angela thank you for your reply.

If he were visiting me I'd suggest someone accompany him for his treatments.

The door to his room is always open and staff are passing by so that's a possibility so I'll go back to the care home with that suggestion. Fortunately, my client and I get on quite well so I don't envision there being any issues, but obviously need to protect us both.
Amanda Clegg
May 12 2016 9:43AM
I would have thought an open door and a staff member popping a head around would be fine. I used to have a very vulnerable care-home client and that was deemed satisfactory.

Do you have any safeguarding clearance for working with vulnerable people? I think the care home or the family can be asked to pay for this. Also, the care home should run Safeguarding Awareness courses for their staff on a fairly regular basis - mandatory part of their training and also updates probably every 2 years. It would be worth attending one, so you know the system.
Samantha Weekes
May 12 2016 9:53AM
Thank you Amanda, I have full DBS.

The care home have been very relaxed about my visits, but I'll ask about their training.
Amanda Clegg
May 12 2016 10:32AM
I don't think, then, as long as the family are happy, that you need a chaperone!
Angela Rawlins
May 12 2016 10:58AM
I have worked in a care home and it paid little attention to me, which I suppose could be concerning. I was employed by daughters of the ladies, one was a nurse and she knew I watched over her mum for her and would give her any concerns that I had. I once had to complain to the manager about my treatment by one of the nurses in charge:( loved belong my ladies.
Samantha Weekes
May 12 2016 11:17AM
Thank you ladies, it looks like I'm being over cautious. I'll tell my family which will relieve them of a big commitment.
Amanda Clegg
May 12 2016 11:25AM
Interesting comment Angela - I had similar experience as nursing home did not care very well for my client (left without teeth or glasses, or catheter bag strap much too tight!) so family were very grateful to have another person to 'spot check'!
Maureen Abson
May 15 2016 8:21AM
Hi Samantha, in a similar circumstance I have used a short consent form that outlines: my Safeguarding policy (my DBS, client draping, signing into and out of the home so there is a record of the visit and door open) a brief description of treatment being given, that my client notes are available for the next of kin / person with power of attorney to read and then I ask that person (the next of kin or one with power of attorney) to sign on behalf of the client. It just documents it for the future should anything ever be questioned and is open without breaching client confidentiality.

Best wishes
Maureen
Samantha Weekes
May 15 2016 7:45PM
Thank you Maureen, very useful advice.
Rosemary Pharo
Jun 3 2016 10:08AM
You may want to double check if the CQC requires you to give copies of your notes to the home. For instance in the care home I go to, I enter information on each treatment on the homes care management system for which I have my own log in.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments