Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Tamlyn Ennever, May 8 2007 4:34PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Disclaimers on Consultation Cards

Hi There,

I only seem to have a disclaimer that relates to Reflexology and wondered what other people use at the end of their consultation cards!

Your comments & help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Tamlyn
John Dent
May 8 2007 7:09PM
Hi,
I am just a bit concerned about the use of the word "disclaimer". If a person is a professional he/she cannot usually get a client to sign any disclaimer to allow a treatment which professionally would be contra-indicated. Ifit should not be done say without a doctor's permission and the client says "Go ahead anyway; i will sign a disclaiomer" then if the professional does it and there is damage to the client usually in law the professional is liable.
What we recommend is that you get "informed consent" to the treatment having ensured that the client understands the issues and risks.

How do others deal with this?

John dent
Tamlyn Ennever
May 8 2007 9:38PM
Hi John,

I guess my use of the word disclaimer was incorrect in context, I am indeed looking for the correct phrase/wording of 'consent'for a treatment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for the advice.

Kind regards
Tamlyn
Lucy Stevens
May 10 2007 8:15AM
Dear Tamlyn
According to my studies over recent years, ITEC now specifies that a consent statement should be signed by every client having aromatherapy or holistic massage treatment. The ITEC recommended wording goes something like this (see below). I hope this is helpful,
Best wishes,
Lucy Stevens

Please read carefully and only sign if you are in full agreement with the contents.

a) I confirm that I have understood the treatment that I am to receive and I am willing to proceed without confirmation from my own GP or consultant.
or
b) I have understood the treatment, and given my medical history, I would prefer to consult with my GP or Consultant prior to receiving the treatment.

I hereby indemnify the therapist against any adverse reaction sustained as a result of the treatment.

Client name Client signature Date
Therapist signature Date
John Dent
May 10 2007 8:58AM
Hi,
The first part of what you state is fine in that is a way of showing informed consent.
CThA does not think that asking the client for a dislaimer of responsibility for a treatment is professional. A professional person should always take responsibility for the treatments given and for the circumstances in which they are given. All a client can do is agree not to ask the doctor for permission but should be put under no pressure not to seek such permission. A profesional should never encourage a client not to seek medical advice.

John Dent
Tamlyn Ennever
May 10 2007 9:51AM
Hi Lucy & John,

Thanks for your replies and comments.

I agree with John, the first part seems fine, I will look at the second part and write an appropriate sentance with regards to Doctors consent.

Many thanks
Tamlyn
Lucy Stevens
May 10 2007 12:39PM
Hi both

Just to say that I am only passing on the wording that ITEC - the International Therapies Examinations Council - recommend!

Of course any professional therapist would understand the need to refer a client to their GP or health professional should there by any doubt about the suitability of treatment.

Lucy

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion