Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Chris Plumtree (Web Administrator), May 18 2007 4:03PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Information to give to members

Please could you make all members attending local group meetings about the following information. Several number of these cases are coming up more regularly.

Several times a year we receive correspondence from members about approaches made to them either over the telephone or via email for either advertising or a business approach.

If you receive a request for an appointment to discuss advertising on a doctor’s surgery appointment cards, then please check with the surgery concerned that they are aware of the situation. Even although they may agree to you advertising this is not a guarantee that you will receive referrals from the surgery or that any of their patients will contact you. This type of advertising may work for some therapists but not all. The cost can be several hundred pounds so think carefully before entering into the agreement as this will be a formal contact.

If you are contacted by email from what appears to be an overseas( mainly USA) therapist looking for therapists to work with clients who are in the UK please do not give any information regarding your personal circumstances or bank details. These emails are best ignored. They appear to come from a UK email address but the content suggests that the contact is abroad.

If you do require legal assistance or advice then please contact our legal helpline 01455 255215 ref 70175

If possible please print out as a hand out and also discuss within your groups. These are currently being issued with all informatio being sent out at present.

Deborah Knight
May 29 2007 9:46PM
As a new and naive therapist I signed up for an advert in a doctor's surgery magazine. I later regretted this as over the two years of my contract I gained one client.

Last year another therapist phoned me to ask what I thought of this way of advertising, she had managed to stave off the salesman (who like my experience was very pushy) and I advised her to think very hard before signing up. I'm glad I was able to warn her.

Deborah
Angela Rawlins
May 30 2007 10:06PM
Deborah

Sorry you have been caught up, so was I. Unfortunately I had signed up and then heard all the negative stuff even before I had the advert in. Boy, was I down. I don't know anyone who has signed up to these thing who has had one client and it's so expensive.

Make sure that your doctors surgery is putting the booklets out for patients to pick up and also the appointment cards. A month or six weeks ago I went in and found that they had not any on show. I spoke to the receptionist and she had said they had run out and were not getting any more until the new booklet as they had had a new doctor join!! That meant that I was not getting months of advertising, which I had paid for.( I'd got two quaters to go before the end) Plus, they take your money and it took them the first quater(you pay for) to print the booklet and have it approved by the surgery. Which means I have paid for advertising I haven't had.

I, took it on myself to tell the surgery how much we as advertisers were paying - they were shocked. I think they said they got it for free! They do not nessesarily know all that it entails.

One hard lesson.
Dilshad Dewshi
Aug 9 2007 7:24PM
Re: Medical Leisure (Scam) .I was acam by them in 2005/6 and paid £117.50. Was not happy with their advert. and they agreed to send me the proof and also agreed to change it to the way I wanted. I sent the draft but they did not print it. Instead they aent me a card with other 4-5 adverts by beautians, solicitors, etc. and demanded more money. I disputed anout their poor quality, etc. Ever since they send me a bill demanding to make further payments. Today, after 3 - 4 months, they have sent me the proof of the card without amending it for my approval. 2 months ago they sent me a threatening letter. They are playing games with me and I suppose with other ITEC therapist who have been a victim by them. I will ignore this proof and do nothing until I receive another letter fr. them. I will then contact the Trading Standard.
Angela Rawlins
Aug 10 2007 8:51AM
Hi Dilshad

I wouldn't leave it any longer - take legal advice! Go to the citizens advice beaureau or a solicitor who make give you a short slot cheaply. Luckily my husband sent the one I got into a letter on the attack, mind you he does have some legal kowledge and also a team of legal eagles at his disposal for advice:))

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Coordinators