Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Jan 2 2017 12:27AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Complimentary therapies in schools

Hello I wanted to know if I would need a paediatric massage course or specific training other than normal massage to use as a therapist on children ( secondary school age) with autism ? I'm not sure about the requirements or issues in this area of if anyone can tell me if people who already do this ?
Samantha Hill
Apr 10 2017 1:58PM
Hi

Have you contacted Massage in Schools Association? They have a specific course for teaching massage to children in school but they may be able to answer your question too,

Sam
Anne Crease
Apr 11 2017 2:29PM
I hope this information will be helpful as a previous member mentioned this programme. The Massage in Schools Programme (MISP) is an established clothed peer massage (child to child) and parent to child programme for children of 4-12 years or of that developmental age. MISP can be used with children with special needs and some children on the autistic spectrum can provide some peer massage. However, when MISP is used with children in special schools it has to be adapted and sometimes staff give massage to the children as part of their normal contract, with safeguards for children and staff alike. If you want to find out more about the MISP go to www.misa.org.uk

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public