Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Fedella Marsden, Jun 2 2007 1:24PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Remedial/Sports Massage Courses

I am just about to complete VTCT Certificate in Swedeish Massage. I want to set up in business as a massage therapist, but know that I need more training first. I don't know which direction to go in. I live in the Lake District where there are a lot of climbers and fell walkers and know lots of people who play sports such as badminton, squash and golf. Having carried out a bit of market research, I think it would be a good idea to train in sports and/or remedial massage, but am unsure of the difference and which would be the best to choose. Also, should I do the VTCT Diploma in Swedish Massage first? The certificate seems very basic, and I think I need much more training before setting up in business. Having searched the internet, there seem to be very few course available in the north of England. Intensive courses would be a better option than weekly attendance. Please help, my tutor at the college I attend now is very unapproachable and of little help, I don't feel I can ask her advice

Katherine Pite
Jun 5 2007 1:10PM
It may be worth contacting a therapist listed on this site, or one that currently practices local to you, that is trained in Sports and Remedial massage techniques? I'm sure that they would be a wealth of information to you. Sounds like you've made a good start though. Best of luck for your VTCT Massage results, maybe it would be worth continuing with that, building up your client base. There are many courses you can take for CPD, that will enable you to expand on the massage and learn more techniques, deep tissue, manual lymph drainage etc that would maybe build upon what you already know?
I sympathise with you as I have the same problem, it's just finding somewhere to take the courses!
Best of Luck.

Best Wishes

Katherine Pite
Patricia Taylor
Jun 12 2007 2:37PM
I think you would find the SEED course interesting. I did it this year, having already achieved level 3 ITEC holistic massage. SEED run courses in Cumbria and it covers a lot of very intersting and valuable techniques that really do work. Here is the link http://www.theseedinstitute.co.uk/rem.htm

Pat Taylor
Su Baxter
Jun 14 2007 12:36PM
Hi Fedella.
As you're likely to have to travel to any course from the Lake District, you might want to consider the combined sports & remedial courses run by the Scottish Massage Schools: there are courses in Edinburgh and Glasgow, and there's also a Borders school, though I don't know if they run this particular course.
Another one to check out is the London Therapists, who run some of their courses in Carlisle, though I don't know if they do sports and/or remedial.
Good luck with finding something suitable.
Su.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion