Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Sally-Jayne Claus, Aug 8 2007 12:08PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

MRSA & massage/ aromatherapy

I was approached by a care home yesterday asking if I would work with 4 residents who have MRSA as their current therapist wouldn't. I don't know an awful lot about MRSA apart from what you read in the media and that it is highly contagious so I also wouldn't be comfortabe working with anyone infected by MRSA. Has anyone else had a similar experience or any comments on the subject.

Many thanks, Sally
Alison Livings
Aug 8 2007 4:55PM
Dear Sally

I really would not advise attempting to offer any treatments to those with MRSA without completely understanding the nature of the disease and the stage at which those with the disease are at. You are already feeling uncomfortable about it therefore you should go along with your instinct and following training protocols for infectious diseases. If you do feel that you have enough knowledge then any treatment should be with the GP or Consultants approval.
Hope this helps you to make the right decision but I think that you have already made it.
Sally-Jayne Claus
Aug 15 2007 10:42AM
Hi Alison,

Thanks for your response. Yes, my decision was an immediate "No" but I just wanted to know how other therapists felt about working with MRSA. Your reply confirmed my thoughts.

Thank you
Mike Colquhoun
Sep 18 2007 1:07PM
Hi Sally & Alison
I have bad news, this disease and other superbugs, c.difficle mssa etc: are so common now that any working massage therapist has almost certainly contracted one. MRSA lives quite harmlessly on the skin (it especially likes the damp bits like noses) and is only a problem if it gets deep into a wound thus the complications with surgery. However all therapists (I include Doctors & nurses as wel as compl:) need to be aware that as probable carriers they should not get too involved with deep open wounds and should make a point of 'scrubbing & gloving up' first and informing the medical professionals if they have had to. Do not get over panicked by all this as I'm sure you are aware once in hospital the professionals there are aware that they too are probable carriers and take appropriate precautions. Reasonable, appropriate precautions are all that is needed, washing of the hands before and after each patient and a daily shower or bath, there is the problem also that too great a cleanliness is thought to help the immune system so much that it becomes less efficient and we 'catch' more diseases. So mix a bit of good old dirt into your lifestyle -gardening -diy- field sports etc:
One other precaution don't slice up your patients.
Mike
Mike Colquhoun
Oct 27 2007 1:10PM
Here I am again sally-jayne
I by chance came across this in the Mayo clinic and thought you might find it hepful.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/ID00049
Good luck Mike
Sally-Jayne Claus
Oct 30 2007 1:29PM
Hi Mike,

Thank-you - interesting reading & I still stick by my original decision: avoid treating.

Regards,

Sally

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments