Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Roushan Martens, Oct 23 2007 10:23AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

'GRCCT Regulation of therapists' Email

Has anyone else received this email? I'm a bit confused. Should we ignore it? (Message follows):
**********************************************************************************
Dear Practitioner,

Re: Regulation of Complementary Therapists in the United Kingdom

As a member of a reputable UK professional association you will be aware that the professions within the complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) industry have been working for many years to set up a UK National Regulatory body to REGULATE therapists.

The purpose of a National Regulator is to:

* PROTECT the public by providing an INDEPENDENT ARBITRATOR in cases of
complaints and disciplinary procedures

* Demonstrate to the public that REGISTERED practitioners are CREDIBLE,
RESPONSIBLE, ACCOUNTABLE and FIT TO PRACTICE

* Provides a ONE STOP SHOP for the public, the medical profession and
the media to search for a properly qualified and insured practitioner, not only locally but throughout the UK.

In many professions, registration and regulation is costly. Chiropractors and Osteopaths pay £1000 per annum and that is on top of their membership to professional associations. However, those professions have only 3000 - 4000 professionals throughout the UK.

Regulatory structures have to be SELF FINANCING. Whilst the Department of Health may be prepared to fund a Regulator like the Health Professions Council (HPC) and the General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapists
(GRCCT) in the first instance, thereafter they all have to be self financing. It is estimated that the CAM industry has in excess of 100000 therapists within it. Therefore the more practitioners who join the National Register the cheaper it will become.

It should be noted that the General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapists (GRCCT) is NOT another professional organisation, earning revenue from its registrants. Neither is it ANOTHER register which promises employment.

Just as the medical profession is regulated by the General Medical Council
(GMC) and the nursing profession is regulated by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC, Chiropractors by the General Chiropractic Council (GCC) and Osteopaths by the General Osteopathic Council (GOC), complementary and alternative therapists can NOW be regulated by the General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapists (GRCCT).

What do I have to do and how much does it cost? All you have to do is go on line. If you are a member of one of the listed professional associations who have vetted your qualifications and provided you have insurance, that's all you need. The annual cost is £30 to register in ONE therapy and £5 per additional therapy if you are multi disciplined. So, a practitioner qualified to register in 4 therapies the TOTAL annual cost would be £45.

For those who are not members of a professional association, you can still join but the cost is considerably higher at £130. The reason for this is that those therapists have not been assessed by anybody and their qualifications therefore need to be vetted by the Registrar.

Why should I join ANOTHER register? It must be reiterated. This is a REGULATOR of complementary therapies. The GRCCT is NOT a register anybody can JOIN. Therapists are VOLUNTEERING to be regulated. GRCCT Registrants are making a statement to the public that they are credible, serious about their work and prepared to be responsible and accountable for their actions. This is what will set them apart in public perception.

It is advised that therapists should continue their membership of professional associations because it is these organisations that will provide support and advice for the THERAPIST. Remember, regulators PROTECT THE PUBLIC.

Please visit www.GRCCT.org and apply for admission to the National Register.

Registrant Support Team
The General Regulatory Council
for Complementary Therapies
Box 437. Office 6, Slington House, Rankine Road, Basingstoke.RG24 8PH
Tel: 0870 3144031 Fax: 0870 8794045 Email: admin@GRCCT.org

*************************************************************************************
John Dent
Oct 23 2007 10:43AM
Hi,
Thousands of people are getting this.
It is a venture by some within the Reflexology Forum who are unhappy with the yet to be concluded scheme we have been working on facilitated by the FIH.
You can see maore on the other sections on the forum.

CThA is suggesting to members that they do not decide what to do until the formal proposals are all published. We will then put all the details out.

if you go to the main website regulation page you can read all about it and submit your views.

John Dent
www.complementary.assoc.org.uk/RegulationInfo/
Roushan Martens
Oct 23 2007 10:49AM
Ah, thanks!
Richard Johnson
Aug 2 2008 5:07PM
self/voluntary regulation is now here. However, there is only one CAM regulator that is approved by the Dept of Health and that is the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council. CNHC www.cnhc.org.uk

My interest in CAM is a)I am a practising therapist, b)I run training courses, c) I am involved in a Professional Association and d) I am on the council of General Council for Massage Therapy.

I know from my involvment in CAM, that CNHC is the way forward. It will give us some recognition, but we, as therapists need to get involved.

The email that was sent, was from a rival, which in my opinion, undermines the good work of the CNHC.
Paul Stuart Morgan-Ayrs MSc (Psychol)
Apr 29 2010 4:04PM
Unfortunately until the CHNC gets shifting and has more than just a small handful of therapies covered, these rival bodies will continue to try and extract money from people! What is the delay - the NOS are there as standards - why can't they get on with it!?!

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Regulation and CAM