Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Dilshad Dewshi, May 10 2008 9:45PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Hot Stone Kit

Please let me know if anyone is using hot stone Kit for this therapy either at the clinic or when visiting clients in their own home? I have a large Kit and find it difficult to take it on home visit because of the size and takes long to heat the stones. Any suggestion regarding the use of the stones in a easy way?

Trisha Gabriel
May 10 2008 9:51PM
I trained with Jing Massage, how about taking a slow cooker out, a small one if you only need a few stones. Where did you learn Hot Stones? Trish.
Dilshad Dewshi
May 10 2008 10:09PM
Hi Trish, thanks for your prompt reply. I was trained at the Middlesex School of Complementary Medicine. They recommended to purchase the kit, etc from USA as it worked out cheaper. I did a mistake in buying a v. large kit.

I will try out with a slow cooker. Any particular make?

Thank you,

dilshad
Trisha Gabriel
May 10 2008 11:05PM
What did your school recommend when you did the course?Did you purchase a stone heater? Jing suggest using a slow cooker which you can buy for £20 instead of the £200 heaters as sold by some schools. I think its Morphy Richards. My stones are kept in a case, I have seen similar zip up cases at Ikea, sold as cd cases!!
Dilshad Dewshi
May 11 2008 2:22PM

Trisha, this was in 2005-6 that I bought the Massage stone Heater (Model 54416 and 54418) and the stones from the RubRocks, Texas. at $150.90 plus the shipping cost, etc., total $278.63(£78.00). The teacher recommended the RubRocks company to us during that time. I could have ordered a small or a medium size.
When using the stone heater for massage therapy from home, I have no problem keeping the stones warm.

I store the stones in a tray and cover them with a thin cloth. Stones work better when kept in the day light or outside for a while before using them. The natural sun shine is the right treatment for the stones.
Dilshad Dewshi
May 11 2008 2:24PM
Made a mistake I paid somethin like £180 in total to RubRocks.
Trisha Gabriel
May 11 2008 2:54PM
Hi again Dilshad, my stones cost nearly £200, and were from America, apparently the stones came from Arizona, Japan and Mexico! I met someone recently who uses a small slow cooker as she does mobile reflexology and hot stones. Are your stones heated in water?
Also to take the stones out with you, you could pack them into a small suitcase on wheels! Hope this helps, Trish.
Dilshad Dewshi
May 11 2008 11:58PM

Trish Hi, thanks for the useful information, I will be looking for a small slow cooker to carry with me for mobile visits to my clients. I do use hot water to heat the stones. How about you?

Warmest,

dilshad
Patricia Taylor
May 21 2008 10:57AM
I use a Morphy Richards slow cooker bought from Argos for £22. It works perfectly well and was recommeded by my tutor as being better than a salon heater as the heat is more controllable.

My stones were supplied through the tutor. The course was via the SEED Institute and the tutor was Anita James. She sells stones in kits and individually. A starter kit of 25 basalt stones plus labradorite crystal for recharging the stones was £85. Anita can be contacted at essentiallyholistic@fsmail.net

Hope this helps.
Dilshad Dewshi
May 23 2008 12:36AM

Hi Patricia, thanks for the useful information. I feel confident to purchase the slow cooker from Argos since you have been using it. Do you know how many stones you use per massage? And how do you store the stones when not in use? Do you treat your massage when not in use?
Dilshad Dewshi
May 23 2008 12:41AM
Hi Patricia, thanks for useful information. I would feel confident to purchase the slowcooker from Argos if I need to. How many stones you use per massage and how do you tore the stones when not in use? Do you treat your stones when not in use?

Thanks
Patricia Taylor
May 23 2008 12:12PM
Hi Dilshad

In addition to the starter kit from Anita, I bought 2 extra large placement stones. These are good for putting underneath a client whose back muscles are especially tight (covered by a towel) to soften areas like the upper trapezius prior to deep tissue massage. I also found I needed 2 extra small hand stones, as these are the ones you use most frequently and they tend to cool quite quickly.

Anita taught us that the stones need to recharge their energies, after use, I wash and dry my stones and arrange them in a spiral on my couch leading into the labradorite crystal in the centre of the spiral. I try to leave them at least overnight where the moon (if there is one) can get to them. Anita also said that the stones are best stored in containers made from natural materials, like ceramic or straw, so mine are stored in a straw container (bought from Sainburys!). I treat my cold stones in much the same way.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Judith Quin
Sep 23 2008 4:16PM
Hey

Just in case you happen to visit this posting again (I've just discovered the forum)If I've just got one hot stone massage to do and it's awkward heating the stones at a client's house - I have heated them at home and put them into a thermal bag (which I bought from Lakelands) - it's great, keeps the stones hot enough to work with, and all I need to take is that little bag and the bowl for the cold water.

Hope all is going well

Judith
Patricia Taylor
Sep 24 2008 12:13PM
Thanks Judith

That's good advice. I don't so mobile, but I have volunteered to give a demo at our local group meeting so that would work well.

Pat

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion