Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Declan Alasdair Hill, May 16 2008 11:54AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

On-site massage for new mums

I'm starting a business offering on-site massage to new mums. Does anyone know the contra-indications for C-sections? I think, as it's a major operation, that it should be no treatment in the first six months, but it could be two years depending on interpretation of the 'major operation' rule.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

Cheers, and love to all

Declan
Mike Colquhoun
Jun 5 2008 1:29PM
Hi Declan
I can see why no one has replied to this as everyone gets very careful about advising therapists against the preferences of Allopathic. Read any massage book ‘Contraindications’ are usually so comprehensive that if the Patient is breathing you can’t touch them.
The truth is that all caesarean sections [any deep abdominal Operation & most difficult births] leave adhesions behind and these can become a serious problem, some times within five years but more often over twenty years. In the latter case the Lady, now in her late forties early fifties, is advised a Hysterectomy is advisable.
Naturally whilst performing this operation the surgeon removes any adhesion, problem solved, well it would be but the unfortunate part is that this depth of operation leaves adhesions and these can become a serious problem, some times within five years but more often over twenty years. In the latter case the Lady, now in her late sixties early seventies, is advised......... well you can see where we are going.
However to do anything about this with massage, proper training in assessment and techniques is a prerequisite and as yet there is no agreement on what that should be so there is no qualification. The nearest would be Rolfing but that does not cover this area.
Several years ago I did try to persuade ITEC that a more advanced examination is needed but at that time ITEC were busy gaining government recognition within adult education and were not willing to rock the boat.
To find out more about adhesions try my web site; click on my name then on ‘business listing’ then ‘web’.
On the contacts page you can email me direct and on the Q&A page you will find a question related to this subject.
Of course this is self promotion on the CThA members pages, so maybe I shouldn’t be doing it?
See Under
General Discussion - Forum
Your feedback would be welcome?
Posted by Elizabeth Farrow, May 29 2008 7:11PM
I deviate; Good luck and please do cantact me if I can Help.

Yours aye Mike

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments