Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Trisha Gabriel, May 20 2008 4:57PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

PERFORMING RIGHTS SOCIETY

Please can someone advise me! I have received two letters from the performing rights society, saying I need a music license. I practice from home and see 1-1 clients. I play therapy music which is composed for such use! where do I stand...am I right in saying its ok if you are a 1-1 therapist. Thanks Trish.
Alison Livings
May 20 2008 5:17PM
I have today spoken to The Performing Right Society and they have advised me that if your home is not registered with the local council as partial buisness use and you are not paying business rates then the licence does not apply. If you are registered for buisness use you will not need a licence if the music that you are playing is all non copyright material but you will need to check on the disc tape etc. The same rules apply if you are using the radio in your buisness. I hope this helps
Angela Rawlins
May 27 2008 9:20AM
All I can say is, this one has been doing the rounds! Just beware of scams to make money out of you!!
Trisha Gabriel
May 27 2008 12:52PM
Hi, Yes I have heard from them a few years ago. I emailed them told them my situation and so far have heard nothing more!
Trish.
Deborah Knight
Sep 2 2008 5:21PM
I have been bombarded with letters from this company despite having emailed them saying I do not need a licence and receiving confirmation from them of this. I received another letter only yesterday!
Is there an organisation that I complain to about this?
Angela Rawlins
Sep 2 2008 5:30PM
You could try trading standards. One way of getting rid of 'un solicitored mail' is to stuff their prepaid envelope if they send one and return it!! Try sending a letter to the effect of 'harrasment'!
Deborah Knight
Sep 2 2008 5:36PM
Thanks for that - will do both I think as am very annoyed about this. We therapists are supposed to be chilled out not stressed out!
Rebecca Smith
Dec 4 2008 11:16AM
Hi,

I've ended up buying a CD of non-copyright music to get around the PRS!

It cost £ 20.00 inc p and p so will be cheaper than paying their fee each year as long as I stick to playing this CD.

The company I bought it from is called NVM Music Services if anyone is interested and I bought their relaxation CD.

Hope this helps some more of you save paying out for a licence!

Becky
Angela Rawlins
Dec 4 2008 2:45PM
This is ridiculous!

Talk about harrasment - please would one of you contact the trading standards people. We are only small practitioners, I would have thought that it only applies to larger shops, groups etc.
Alison Livings
Dec 12 2008 3:56PM
We have again spoken to the PRS and they have advised that the information given below is still correct. However, this is under review and they will advise us if the situation changes.

Posted by Alison Livings, May 20 2008 5:17PM
I have today spoken to The Performing Right Society and they have advised me that if your home is not registered with the local council as partial buisness use and you are not paying business rates then the licence does not apply. If you are registered for buisness use you will not need a licence if the music that you are playing is all non copyright material but you will need to check on the disc tape etc. The same rules apply if you are using the radio in your buisness. I hope this helps

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion