Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Poppy Crichton, Aug 29 2005 9:40AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Q: Does anyone have experience massaging MS suffers?

Hi again

I have been asked to talk about aromatherapy and massage to a group of MS suffers. Obviously prospective clients would require GP permission but I would like to know if anyone has or is massaging MS suffers and if aromatherapy/massage has found to be beneficial.

I do not wish to say yes to the person organising the talk until I know if members/suffers can actually receive massage and whether it has been found to be beneficial. I would also be interested to know of negative responses.

Please reply to this site for other practitioners interest but it would help if I may speak to you in person, please send your contact details to me at poppy@odlehill.f9.co.uk.

Thank you.

Poppy
Al Jetha
Sep 8 2005 7:17PM

REPLY SAME AS THE OTHER QUESTION.
Julia Lloyd
Sep 17 2005 3:58PM
Dear Poppy

MS sufferers have a problem with spasticity and which can mean muscle spasm can be triggered by massage. If you contact the MS Society they may be able to help. I have a friend with MS and we have decided caution is best. However, there is the option of gentle hand and feet massage and also perhaps Indian Head Massage.
Regards JLloyd
Al Jetha
Sep 21 2005 10:57PM
DEAR POPPY,
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH JULIA LLOYD ABOUT THE GENTLE MASSAGE TO BEGIN WITH. AT A CERTAIN STAGE, MAYBE IN SECOND OR THIRD SESSION, DEPENDING ON THE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT'S TOLERENCE TO BEAR THE PRESSURE, DEEPER MASSAGE WITH GENTLE PASSIVE STRETCHING HELPS TONE THE IMBALANCED MUSCLES AND CIRCULATION,GETTING RID OFF THE WASTE PRODUCTS FROM THE BODY, GRADUALLY LESSENS THE SPASTICITY(MUSCLE SPASMS).
IF DONE CORRECTLY, IT HELPS THE FLEXIBILITY AND AVOIDS RIGIDITY, IN CHRONIC STAGE OF M.S..
CHRONIC STAGE MAYBE HELP BY MORE EXPRIENCE AND QUALIFIED PACTITIONERS.
Al Jetha
Sep 21 2005 11:00PM
DEAR POPPY,
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH JULIA LLOYD ABOUT THE GENTLE MASSAGE TO BEGIN WITH. AT A CERTAIN STAGE, MAYBE IN SECOND OR THIRD SESSION, DEPENDING ON THE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT'S TOLERENCE TO BEAR THE PRESSURE, DEEPER MASSAGE WITH GENTLE PASSIVE STRETCHING HELPS TONE THE IMBALANCED MUSCLES AND CIRCULATION,GETTING RID OFF THE WASTE PRODUCTS FROM THE BODY, GRADUALLY LESSENS THE SPASTICITY(MUSCLE SPASMS).
IF DONE CORRECTLY, IT HELPS THE FLEXIBILITY AND AVOIDS RIGIDITY, IN CHRONIC STAGE OF M.S..
Al Jetha
Sep 21 2005 11:03PM
DEAR POPPY,
Poppy Crichton
Sep 22 2005 6:26PM
Thank you Al and Julia for your advice on massaging MS suffers.
Gillian Greening
Nov 30 2005 12:48PM
Hello Poppy
I have two clients who have MS and I have been giving them passive movement exercise for 12 years in my role as a carer. Since qualifying in massage they have had doctor permission for massage. The massage benefits them very much, especially the back massage which helps with lower back pain. Both are completely disabled and only have movement on head and neck. From a carers point of view, I think they have found the benefit from the contact of the massage, otherwise the only touch they receive is from personal care which can be quite clinical sometimes. I see how relaxed they are after a massage session, legs benefit from the increase in blood flow and they often comment how warm they feel after treatment. I would always be happy to offer a massage to someone with MS with doctor permission.
Dora Jackson
Dec 2 2005 12:13AM
I have been massaging MS sufferers for years and they definitely find it helpful. Each client is different and the degrees to which you'll find them affected vary greatly. Although spasticity is a problem for most some just get an overall ache that won't ease when the disease is in an active state. Some can take alot of deep work but not all. Once you're comfortable with your client, you'll know what helps most . Be careful with heat applications. Most MS sufferers find it aggravates their symptoms. Cheers.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments