Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Roushan Martens, Feb 10 2009 8:00PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

National Occupational Standards for Complementary Therapies - Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland

Complementary Health National Occupations Standards (CHNOS) Review Project

Please excuse me if I am replicating information already elsewhere, but as I hadn't seen this on Embody info, I thought some people might be interested. There is a consultation process going for the development of Occupational standards for complementary therapists, and any of us are invited to give feedback. To be honest, I'm not sure which of the three bodies - as mentioned on the regulation page on this site (or all of them, or none of them) will be using these standards, but as it's run by a governmental body, I guess they will be used for anyone wishing to do NHS work. It's a tight schedule - feedback has to be in by 20th Feb, but this is an opportunity to comment.

It’s run by Skills for Health which …

“…is the Sector Skills Council (SSC) for the UK health sector. Our purpose is to help the whole sector develop solutions that deliver a skilled and flexible UK workforce in order to improve health and healthcare. The 25 Sector Skills Councils which make up the Skills for Business Network are licensed by the Secretary of State for Education and Skills in consultation with Ministers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.” See more on http://www.skillsforhealth.org.uk/page/

Only a selection of therapies are covered in the documents, but there is also a general standard, so it's relevant to all of us.

To receive a copy of the Draft Revised CHNOS – Consultation Papers please email Erica.Treharne@skillsforhealth.org.uk

Hope that's of use.

Rona Gray
Feb 11 2009 10:33PM
Thanks for this, was more interesting that I expected!
I am going to a meeting with the CThA National Chair, Kush Kumar in a week or 2 so I will raise this and see exactly what the status will be in Scotland and what that means for therapists...as many of us arent employed by an agency I do wonder how they would implement and monitor such standards?
Rona Gray
Angela Rawlins
Feb 12 2009 8:52AM
Rona

You can also ask about communication with therapy group members and members, why the members are unaware of what is going on about regulation. I havereceived a very interesting email from some one asking me to put my name to a petition for No 10
Angela Rawlins
Feb 12 2009 9:00AM
Roushan

What page was it,I'm not seeing it very well!
Roushan Martens
Feb 12 2009 9:17AM
Hi Angela - if you mean which page is the regulation info on - if you go to the CThA home page, there's a light green box on the right, with a link to a regulation info page on this site.
For the info on occupational standards, you need to email the address above, and you'll be sent the documents.

Having explored the issue a bit more, I think these standards will be for CNHC, but I could be wrong about that. So far CNHC only cover massage and nutrition, but by the look of the documents, a few more things are set to be included.

I also received the email about the petition, and found myself wondering whether it was set up by someone who would rather comp. therapies weren't regulated at all, and is, in fact, against them. I replied to the email asking about the background of the instigator, but have had no reply as yet.

Hope that answers your question,
Roushan

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion