Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Cherry O'Sullivan, Sep 10 2005 2:43PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

RSI

Hello,

I do massage, reflexology and am training to practise Indian head massage. Considering I don't do this on a full time basis, I'm already experiencing some discomfort in my thumb joints, wrists and elbows - the dreaded RSI!

My aim is to practise on a full time basis in the future. I'm worried that the RSI will get worse and complicate matters, and was wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any words of wisdom for me?

My full time job is office based, so I'm well aware that using a mouse and keyboard all day doesn't help, but the aim is to get away from this environment.

Kind regards,

Cherry
Lorraine Wright
Sep 10 2005 4:06PM

try using some ginger, black pepper, lavender and orange mixed into either grapessed oil or almond oil it will help to keep any swellings and aches out of your fingers, wrist and hands hope this helps.

good luck with your training and your new work experience,

thanks
lorraine wright.
Cherry O'Sullivan
Sep 10 2005 4:14PM
Thanks Lorraine, I'll give it a go!

Cherry
Ruth Maguire
Sep 10 2005 5:04PM
Hi there

I have also experienced some problems with my wrists! I received some simple excercises from a physio which has strengthened them, also if the pain is realy bad you can use wrist splints...not for when practising your therapies but helps when driving or using a pc. If you can't get hold of them yourself send me an e-mail with your address and I'll scan mine and mail them to you.......the exercises that is not the splints! :)

Ruth
ruth@ruthmaguire-reflexology.co.uk
Rosemary Johnson
Sep 11 2005 9:34PM
Sorry to hear you're getting rRSI symptoms already, Cherry.14
I've had bits of RSI before, but from computer keyboards/calculators (!) not massage.
So dar, mine have always gone away when I've stopped the particular stressed rush-to=-get-this-finished stuff then triggered them and rested.
Have you any chance of taking time to rest and hope a rest cure does some good.
Please do not press ahead by forcing yourself through "the pain barrier", to go on and ignore it. I've known people who've got really seriously injured doing that.

There are various people/organisations who promote "Injury free massage" - in various styles and forms (shall we say!).
Does your current training cover issues of how to reduce risk of injury (including RSI) to yourself? - and your previous training?
Is it possible to ask your tutor to cover this area more?

In terms of your "day job" at the computer, have you ever had a workstation assessment? - if not, you should ask for one. This should address such matters as layout and accessories such as wrist rests to reduce RSI risk at the computer.

good luck, and hope you can crack it. it's a miserable achey thing.
Rosemary
Cherry O'Sullivan
Sep 11 2005 10:23PM
Thanks Rosemary and Ruth.

I wish I could rest Rosemary, but the bills need paying! Seriously, I’ve had workstation assessments, and the suggestions I’ve been given (wrist rests, the correct angle of my arms etc) don’t cure the problem, only ease things (which is better than nothing!).

I’ll be starting yet another course in October; I’ll certainly be bringing it up then.

Thanks again.

Cherry
Yvonne Main
Oct 7 2005 10:45PM
i have recently attended a sports and remedial massage course and have found that by massaging the thumb from the base of the nail bed to the end of the saddle joint really helpful, my left thumb aches a lot and often feels tight, this simple manouver can help, you will probably find a little nodule that needs to be eased out, hope this helps, but if not instantly try and try again. Ice also helps 5 minutes at a time over a cloth to reduce the swelling that rsi causes.follwoed by massage (gently) let me know if this helps

yvonne
Abigail Bestwick
Mar 6 2006 12:37PM
Hi Cherry - sorry this reply is quite a long time after your post! Are you receiving any treatment for your RSI? I discovered Bowen Technique helped a lot and decided to train in it to reduce the problems that I was having with massage.
Also, do your strengthening exercises include stretches for your shoulder and neck? Often with RSI the tendeny is to focus locally on the painful area, but it could be referring from compression on the brachial nerve plexus. Working on posture may help.
Hope you have already found resolution for this problem!
Abi Bestwick
Jason Briers
May 1 2006 7:35PM
Hi Cherry

Saw your post & thought I would send you a reply. I specilise in this area and can recommend some excellent techniques using accupoints and some basic exercises to keep you RSI free!!!

Jason Briers
Master Tui Na Practitioner

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion