Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Charlotte Bacon, May 19 2010 3:11PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Nutrition - hidden MSG in "health" foods

Hi

I came across a study done on MSG and HVP a while back when I was trying to find out exactly what HVP (hydrolysed vegetable protein) is. I was pretty shocked to discover that a whole range of flavours used in health foods and vegetarian alternatives actually contain high amounts of MSG, which is a potent neurotoxin, but are listed under different names so we don't realise what it is we're eating.

More shocking still is the lack of awareness of the people in health food stores selling this stuff buy the lorry load, and people supposedly knowledgable about their health eating tonnes of the stuff!

Read the study here:

https://acrobat.com/#d=vQpQX9sV14N0jgI*zHuwXA
Barbara Lewis
May 21 2010 12:40PM
saw this too
and am also concerned about aspartame and how it is broken down in the liver of some people
and gelatine - practically all kids sweets have this in and mint imperials !!!
health foods and vegetarian options are becoming a good source of income as they command a higher price but common sense says that anything mass produced is going to have some preservative - chenicals included
best to go back to a diet you cook from scratch
i was also extremely concerned that 30% reduced saturated fat cream crackers actually contained nearly 4% more total fat than the normal variety - and they cost about 50% more !! Better to wat one less of the normal ones !!
how easy it is to get sucked in by the hype on labelling

i will get off my soap box pays to check everything most manufacturers produce a list of contents of foods for allergy sufferers if you write to them
supermarkets are particularly good at sending these out

barbara

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion