Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Mary Angela King, Feb 7 2011 6:38PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Treatments for Fibromyalgia

Janice, Helen, Jane, Janice, Tim and Amanda, just a very big thank you for responding to my question.
This is without a doubt a very complex subject and has given me something to think about, I am still very interested in finding any treatments that anyone has had some success with, it seems that GP's stick anyone with undiagnosed pain into the group of Fibromyalgia as they don't know else what to do with them, dishing out horrendous concoctions of drugs which just makes the patient sicker, and this group is growing rapidly. My husband's symptoms began after a head on car crash, but even emotional trauma can tip the balance, but it is soul destroying for the carers to see their loved ones in such pain and subsequently depression.
There has been so much scientific study in recent years on the fascia and its overall effects on the body, but nothing equates to feed back from you the therapists, so any feed back is really very much appreciated. Thank you one and all.
Nicki Lee
Mar 10 2011 10:23AM
I have several clients with fibromyalgia who have been coming to me for about ten years, and also see others occasionally. The main point I would like to add to the others is that the symptoms do change over time and so the treatment will constantly be adjusted. I have found a firm pressure to be effective with many and indeed required by the clients in some cases, but the key was to achieve the pressure slowly and start off superficially. There is often pain the arms and legs which do often require and benefit from more ctm work, however the pain in back and neck can often be trigger points which do need particular attention.

It is a complex and (from a therapist point of view) quite interesting disease, but I have found massage to be extremely helpful in keeping people more comfortable and aiding the quality of life. It helps very much, as well, with the sleep disorder often associated with the condition, although in my experience usually only for a few nights. It should help with the anxiety/depression which can accompany it as well, as massage has been found to lower the cortisol in the blood, however to substantiate this would require the research that our industry sadly doesn't have the financing to perfom.
Barbara Leonard
May 2 2011 8:26PM
Hello, Mary, can I suggest you consider a chi kung class to help alleviate the painful symptoms of this condition. Chi kung, or Qi Gong, is part of TCM and is a very gentle exercise system working on the meridians, channels of the chi energy. This system can be as gentle as is required for the individual concerned. Also EFT, which works on meridian energy/acupuncture points, may be of benefit. Hope this is useful. Best wishes, Barbara Leonard
Yvonne Jevons
May 11 2011 4:52PM
Hi Mary,
I have tremendous success using the Raindrop Technique over the past 12 years, works very well for clients who have Fibromyalgia. I also work with clients now with DARE techniques, which well and truly gets to the root of the problem (client willing of course) and deals with the cause. There may be a practitioner of Raindrop local to you which might well be of benefit to your husband.
Blessings
Yvonne

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments