Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Feb 25 2011 7:52AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

aromatherapy

what is aromatherapy?Is it alternative or complemantary therapist?
Dawn Spragg
Mar 14 2011 5:36PM
it is both as they are the same thing.

Unfortunately Embody in their wisdom has somehow removed the description for aromatherapy so here goes mine as I teach to my ITEC Students. I hope it helps and if you need a therapist and you re anywhere near South West London Look me up Dawn Spragg healinghands aromatherpy.co.uk

Aromatherapy is the systematic use of essential oils in holistic treatments to improve physical and emotional well-being. Essential oils, extracted from plants, possess distinctive therapeutic properties, which can be utilized to improve health and prevent disease.
These natural plant oils are applied in a variety of ways:
• Massage (most used method)
• Baths (add a few drops to warm water)
• Inhalations (not for asthmatics)

Aromatherapy is an especially effective treatment for stress-related problems and a variety of chronic conditions.

Is there any evidence? -
Many researchers have shown that when they are applied to the skin or inhaled, essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream and metabolized in the body, (Preen C. (2005) Today’s Therapist (35) 2-4) substantiated by Aromatherapy Science, Pharmaceutical Press 2006 Chapter 7 p.78.

Clinical trials have shown that when applied topically, some essential oils, including Tea Tree oil, have antibacterial and [antimicrobial/antiseptic] properties (Hay et al. Arch Dermatol. 1998; 134:1349-1352) and that Peppermint oil may optimise/maintain a healthy digestive system (Stevensen C.J. Fundamentals of CAM, Churchill Livingstone 1996:137-148).

There are many studies that demonstrate how essential oils can positively affect mood and the sense of well-being. Buckle J. Alternative Therapy Health Med.1999 (5):42-51 states that “studies suggest that essential oils …. Induce mood changes”. Essential oils also impact on brain wave activity, creating either stimulating or relaxing effects (Stevensen 1996).

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public