Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Deborah Wright, May 2 2011 2:10PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

home study courses

Has anybdy had experience of home study courses? Are the qualifications recognised?

Kind Regards
Deborah
Kathryn Kemp
May 2 2011 2:15PM
Hi Deborah

I looked at some but was advised to be careful as most are not recognised by my insurance company or CThA, unless it specifically states otherwise. I think the main reason is you could basically get anyone to complete it for you while you are at home. Be careful.

Kathy
Bridgette Bradley
May 2 2011 2:27PM
Yes I agree with Kathryn. CThA probably won't recognise
Such courses. Don't waste your money. B
Deborah Wright
May 2 2011 2:53PM
Thank you for your replies ladies, I did have my doubts.

Kind Regards
Deborah
Barbara Lewis
May 2 2011 6:55PM
check first whether your insurer will recognise the course the provider should be able to give you a syllabus and assessment detail s - it may cost you a minimal fee for them to check it - otherwise you can end up with an insurer for each course you do !
i think if it is a therapy course you do need to have some hands on tutor lessons and assessments and case studies to be sure you are confident - if is for background interest ie an ou course tutor face to face contact not so important and many are computer delivered and marked
barb

Alison Baillie
May 3 2011 10:11AM
Hi, I have just read you post I have just finished a home study course which is recognised by the CThA and they advertised it in the Embody mag. I found it very helpful to be able to study at home as my personal life would not allow me the time to attend a course. As it was an add on and not a full qualification, I felt it was fine. There was tutor help when required, assessments to do, and checks on qualifications, and very helpful feed back on assessments. If it was not a suitable way to learn then things like the Open University would not survive.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to General Discussion