Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Aug 27 2012 8:51AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

What do I need to do legally to work from home?

Apart from Insurance, Tax and obviously qualifications, what else do I need to legally work from home as an Armatherapist and Reflexologist in Ireland?

I hear talk of having to apply for planning permission to the local council?
Julie King
Sep 27 2012 8:25PM
I don't know about Ireland, I work in England, and do the majority of my work at home. My business advisor gave me some simple advice which seems to work:

1) Don't upset the neighbours! Make sure your clients park responsibly, etc. Most problems come from
neighbour complaints. All my neighbours are aware of what I do and fully support me.
2) Don't make any permanent structural changes to your home or put up any business signs outside the
house. If you are planning a separate building on your property then you are looking at a different
scenario and would have to involve the council.
3) Make sure the room you are using is capable of easily being turned back into a bedroom, etc. My
room doubles as a bedroom for my boyfriend's daughter once a week or for guests or us on occasions
when we are decorating our bedroom! I keep the bedding in the wardrobe in the room and there is a
bed setee in there that doubles as a seat for my clients. All items in the room, ie shelves, etc,
can be used for any purpose.

The most important things I found when setting up were my CThA registration and insurance and keeping things right with the tax man with my self assessment form.

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public