Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Deborah Sheppard, Apr 2 2016 5:21PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Use of oil for infant massage

Hi,

I would appreciate members’ advice please.

I work mainly as an infant massage instructor and massage in schools instructor these days. I give my clients 100% organic, cold pressed sunflower oil to use on their babies, who are usually at least 6 weeks old when they start my classes. I also work with parents with babies from 3 weeks old on a 1-2 basis, but we don’t use oil at these sessions.

I have just read an article on the University of Manchester’s website, which states that using olive and sunflower oil on new born babies’ skin weakens the skin’s natural defences. I know that we don’t recommend the use of olive oil on babies’ skin anymore, but I always thought that sunflower oil was perfectly safe.
The study only mentions new borns, and it does state that “the skin of babies given oils tended to be better hydrated.” You can read the article here:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/olive-and-sunflower-oil-on-baby-skin-weakens-natural-defences

I would appreciate all comments. I have also emailed the Royal College of Midwives and the IAIM, for their opinions.

All replies will be gratefully received!
Karen Cropley
Feb 11 2017 11:54AM
I see you have no replies but I am interested to see if you had any?
Karen

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Research