Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Poppy Crichton, Aug 29 2005 9:33AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Q: has anyone massaged clients suffering from Fibromyalgia?

Hi

I have had a prospective client suffering from Fibromyalgia approach me for massage. I have researched the ailment on the ukfibromyalgia site and will be speaking to GP's, he too will be speaking to his GP.

All that aside I wondered if anyone had experience of massaging someone with the condition and what postive and negative results were achieved. I would be interested also to know what movements the client found beneficial.

If you are able to help, replying on the site would be useful to other practitioners but I would also like to chat in person. Would you please email your details to me at poppy@odlehill.f9.co.uk.

Thank you.

Poppy
Elisabeth Flynn
Sep 2 2005 7:45AM
Hello Poppy
I am an Embody Reflexologist who suffers from fibromyalgia. I have found massage very beneficial. Personally I can't take too deep a pressure, but people with fibromyalgia do vary. I suggest it is best to start gently and assess the pressure each individual can take. Lots of effleurage to start, then gentle petrissage and kneading is good. Don't be tempted to try to squeeze out all the lumps and bumps you will find in the muscles without checking with your client first. They could have trigger points which are very painful. If you are interested in going further, a sports massage course might help as you will learn about neuro-muscular and other deep tissue work which may help - as my massage therapist did.
Hope this helps
Liz
PS ANY massage if it is not too hard will be generally beneficial.
Poppy Crichton
Sep 5 2005 8:25PM
Thank you Liz, that fits in with a reply I had from Beth Farron, a member of the UK Fibromyalgia organisation.

Kind regards.

Poppy
Al Jetha
Sep 8 2005 5:12PM

HELLO POPPY

I AM AN EMBODY REGISTERED PRACTITIONER. I HAVE HAD PATIENTS SUFFERING FROM FIBROMYALGIA AND M.S.
ACCORDING TO MY EXPERIENCES, I DO AGREE WITH THE REPLIES YOU HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED.
HAVING THE NECESSARY QUALIFICATIONS IN SPORTS INJURY PRACTICE AND MANAGEMENT PLUS HOMEOPATHY, I AM GLAD TO SAY THAT MY PATIENT BENEFITED PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. RETAINING THE POSITIVE EFFECTS, LONGER, WHEN I INCLUDED HOMEOPATHY.
Poppy Crichton
Sep 10 2005 2:07PM
Thank you Al for your reply to my request.

Poppy

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Discussion about treatments