Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Jun 18 2010 5:14PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Home learning?

Im intrested in beginning a career in complementary therepy and have just been looking at the Complementary Therapies Diploma on the DCA Home Learning website, please could you tell me if this is any good as its quite a lot of money to invest in doing (£629.00) If i were to take this course (if it is any good) what would my career prospects be? would i need further training after?

Kind regards
K Darcy
CThA Administrator
Jun 25 2010 1:28PM

In my expereince some associations and insurance companies (including the CThA) do not accept distance learning courses. This is ususally beacuse they do not have enough hands on training. Therefore, it may be a good idea to phone around the associations or insurance companies and find out if they will accept the qualification before you undertake it.
Amanda Clegg
Jun 30 2010 11:57PM
Do contact your local Further Education college who will run either ITEC or VTCT courses, and you may even get some help with funding. Good luck.
Dawn Spragg
Jul 12 2010 11:29PM
After 15 years as a therapist and 7 years a tutor, I can hand on heart say that for therapies home learning does not work.
You need the support of t a tutor and to be shown the practical aspects. Also the support you receive from other class members and colleagues is something money can’t buy. Go for a local adult education college and study ITEC or VTCT the price will be comparable and your experience knowledge and support will be far superior.
Can I also recommend you do a full years course rather than a short course the “drip feed method” as we call it ensures long term retention. I often have students who come on my courses who have done short coursed in ITEC etc and remember nothing and have to start all over again. If you are truly wanting to take therapy up a career take it slow and be thorough in your learning and your new found skills they will last you a life time.
Amanda Clegg
Jul 13 2010 5:54PM
I so agree with you, Dawn - and would add, once you are qualified, carry on wiht the CPD stuff by attending day schools as the initial ITEC training is only the start. Also do swaps with more experienced therapists and get them to show you some of the advanced techniques (eg piriformis release, which is NOT taught on the ITEC syllabus - at least it wasn't when I trained)

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public