Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted Sep 5 2010 8:28PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

How to start


what would you advise to somebody, who has Certificate in Body Massage from Czech Republic and would like to start to work in London. What should be her next steps?

Thank you.

Dawn Spragg
Sep 12 2010 6:07PM
Unless this is able to be recognised by an insurer in this country and a guild such as the CTha as a valid qualification you and not work legally in this country .
If your certification is not recognised I’m afraid you will have to retrain suggest attending ITEC massage course. We run such colleges at Merton Adult Education South London SW20. You will have to be quick as most courses start in around 2 weeks. You would need to get advice and guidance and have good skills in comprehension written and spoken English to apply.

If you are able to become insured then you need decide how you wish to trade and to register with the Tax office which is very easy to pay your NI and tax each year .

I hope this helps you
Neville Dalton
Sep 15 2010 11:29AM
Hello Zuzana.
Funnily enough, I have just asked a similar question of the CThA on behalf of some friends of mine.
The CThA suggests contacting an organisation called the National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC). They will tell you how your qualifications compare with the UK versions and advise you whether you need to have further qualifications in this country.

The CThA suggests the most likely additional qualification you might need would be in anatomy & physiology, although as has already been suggested, you may need to prove you have a certain standard in English first.

This page seems the most useful for you:

Good luck - and let us know how you get on!
Gillian Kenyon
Sep 15 2010 6:04PM

Please note: There is no legal requirement to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance in the UK. What you need is the legal right to work in the UK.

If someone is willing to accept your certificate and employ you in a Salon/Spa etc and you are legally allowed to work here. That is all you need.

On the other hand, if you wish to work self employed and to protect yourself financially from any possible claims of negligence, and to show clients you are working on a Professional basis, you may choose to take out Professional Indemnity (PI) Insurance. That being the case, there are many insurance organisations who do NOT require the course to be accredited with CThA or other bodies who you can contact for PI insurance.

I have listed a number of different insurers used by members of The H Club on our web-site. Take a look at
Dawn Spragg
Sep 22 2010 10:05PM
I do understand where Gillian is coming from but I do not know of any reputable employer who would take on an unrecognised qualification in Massage from another country. There are so many therapist qualified in this country looking for positions employers can pick and choose.

With regard to insurance; Sorry my wording was floored and unclear, I didn’t mean that to be insured you had to be a member of a guild, just by an insurer willing to accept your qualification and cover you,but if you ask a guild such as CTha do they recognise your qualification and they say yes then sure as dam it an insurer will should also be willing to cover you.

you really don’t want to practice self employed without PI insurance as if heaven forbid something should go wrong you will be responsible and have no support. This could cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation claims. As stated contact some insurers and ask the question if they will insure you with your qualification. In this ever increasing society and blame culture with claims and counter claims you really don’t want to take that risk.

Good luck

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Questions from Members of the Public